John Letters v Ping

Buff

Visit site
Hello,

I'm getting back into the game (shooting 100+) after playing very occasionally as a junior and early teenager. I've be gifted a set of John Letters T3 Irons, at first I thought these were ideal as they had been lengthened and I'm 6'5. I can hit them okay, but just that. I dont feel like i get a particularly clean contact with them that often (compared to when i try hitting my old mans Mizuno's).

I've arranged lessons and will be taking them regardless of buying new clubs or not but i've seen a set of Ping G15s online second hand for a decent price and more importantly green dot that would suit my height.

Am I worth buying the pings, am i likely to see or feel much of a difference or is it wishful thinking?

Also happy to take a recommendation on other clubs if there are any.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Pings are seen as very much a beginners iron with lots of forgiveness and the T3s I would see as more of a mid-handicap players club. The T3 is more like the Ping I3

If you have been gifted the T3s why not hang onto them as you might want to change as your game improves.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The Pings are seen as very much a beginners iron with lots of forgiveness and the T3s I would see as more of a mid-handicap players club. The T3 is more like the Ping I3

If you have been gifted the T3s why not hang onto them as you might want to change as your game improves.

Ping G15 are not beginners clubs, they are game improvement irons. Ping G15 were in the bag of KJ Choi for a period of time. So categorically not "beginners clubs". For what its worth I would suggest they will be streets ahead of the John Letters irons that you are currently using.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ping G15 are not beginners clubs, they are game improvement irons. Ping G15 were in the bag of KJ Choi for a period of time. So categorically not "beginners clubs". For what its worth I would suggest they will be streets ahead of the John Letters irons that you are currently using.

Totally agree G15s were used by a few pros, you can certainly work the ball with them. Mainly designed to hit the ball straight

Go for them if they are a decent price, you won't regret it

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Pings are seen as very much a beginners iron.

100% agree that any new person serious about Golf should look at ping clubs.

I doubt many would want to change till they hit low single and/ or absolutely need to work the ball.

Keep the T3s but Pint stuff is amazing! Will last you years too.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

the ping "g" series are a beginners club. what ever way you cut it you can't get a more forgiving club head. perhaps the gmax but that wasn't available then.

just because pros use them doesn't change what they are.

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
The other benefit of getting some Pings is they hold their value well so if you don't get on with them then you will probably be able to get rid of them without losing much.
I've got g20s and very happy with them

D

Deleted member 17920

the ping "g" series are a beginners club. what ever way you cut it you can't get a more forgiving club head. perhaps the gmax but that wasn't available then.

just because pros use them doesn't change what they are.
We have a lad who got rid of his blades and went for the G series and went from 5 to 1 last season.

Found them really forgiving.

I tried the G400 the other day and found them really easy to hit.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a lad who got rid of his blades and went for the G series and went from 5 to 1 last season.

Found them really forgiving.

I tried the G400 the other day and found them really easy to hit.

I would class Confidence and Prosimmon and the like as beginners clubs, a full set for just over £100 with a carry bag just to jump start your game. Pings are certainly not in this category

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If Ping are beginners clubs.....I dread to think how much established players are exoected to pay for stuff.
Ping G ranges are game improvement clubs, not beginners clubs. I would try hitting a few shots with them first if you can, and then make your choice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Somebody please explain the difference between beginners clubs and game improvement clubs in terms of club design. Then compare your definition of a beginners club against the Ping G15