Jimmy Greaves.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another great we have lost.
One of the greatest British goal scorers of all time. He had the knack of being in the right place at the right time, often just placing the ball in the net.
Will be sadly missed.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another great we have lost.
One of the greatest British goal scorers of all time. He had the knack of being in the right place at the right time, often just placing the ball in the net.
Will be sadly missed.[greatest

I would say THE greatest Chris

44 goals in only 57 games for England, scored at every age level playing for England, scored on his debut for every team he played for.

Spurs record scorer highest scorer in English football , his stats are incredible.

What a player

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I saw him play once.
He had a good sense of humour such as when on Saint and Greavsie.
I remember him saying Chelsea fans will tell you I played my best football at Chelsea, Tottenham fans at Spurs, West Ham fans at Chelsea and Spurs.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
They talk about goalscorers today, this man did it with ease.
Great memories of him and Saint John on a Saturday before heading off to Upton Park.

R.I.P Jimmy.

Saw this clip on another forum (West Ham) you have to marvel that any players had any sort of skills playing on them pitches…….

Minor random irritation today at the match, a minutes applause for the man. He deserved and would have got a minutes silence I’m sure.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is a shame that morons over the years have meant that a minutes silence has been replaced by a minutes applause to drown out the disrespectful pond life amongst us but there is no doubt that today it would have been respected impeccably.

I never got to see him play but his stats just are breathtaking- they talk about Messi and Ronaldos goal scoring stats but Greaves did it in an era where defenders were allowed to defend - even his short spell in Italy he scored goals.

And for England his goal per game record won’t be beaten ever - and seems he was another that was criminally underused

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They talk about goalscorers today, this man did it with ease.
Great memories of him and Saint John on a Saturday before heading off to Upton Park.

R.I.P Jimmy.

Saw this clip on another forum (West Ham) you have to marvel that any players had any sort of skills playing on them pitches…….

Minor random irritation today at the match, a minutes applause for the man. He deserved and would have got a minutes silence I’m sure.
I’d love to see Messi and co trying to play on that pitch. I bet the mower didn’t get much use?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's an interesting one. I much prefer the applause to silence. Applause is a celebration of a life, you see people smiling, along with the tears. Silence is a much more sombre affair.

Neither is wrong, up to the individual as to which you prefer, but I would not see applause as the second best option. For many it is the preferred one.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I saw some of yesterday's match and switched over. A few mins later I saw some clips of Greavsie playing.
Chalk and cheese.
Read his book recently. Very funny, and his views of the game so accurate.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A sad day, met him when I was a kid. My father was a real fan and used to go over to Milan and watch him play. He must have been one of the first uk professional footballers to play for a foreign club.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My dad was a North Londoner and a Spurs Season Ticket holder right through the 50s and 60s. He waxed lyrical about Jimmy all the time. I saw him play at WHL a few times in the 60s (I was about 5 or 6) and remember more about the crowd and atmosphere than the matches.

Seeing the old videos, makes you realise how good he was.. and many of the greats of that era. Loved the West Ham/Man City clip. Shirts without being them advertising hoardings, no daft pre-choregraphed goal celebrations.... proper football. The only thing better now is the quality of grass, the stadiums and the sandwiches (prawn obviously) :) (only partially kidding before the "customers" take offence!)