Jesus!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 1147

Exactly. As long as everyone in my group is playing ready golf it’s all good. We only play honours in match play comps.
If 3 of you are playing ready golf and another member of your group took 1.5 minutes per shot they’ll never keep up with the rest of you.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If 3 of you are playing ready golf and another member of your group took 1.5 minutes per shot they’ll never keep up with the rest of you.

The 4th would be getting told to hurry the **** up!

If we are all playing ready golf and the field is stacked up, it is what it is. If however we are playing ready golf and losing pace of the group in front, I can be quite subtle “ guys, we’ve held them twice, the next time we hold them I’m calling them through! “

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The organisers of competitions don't need to invent anything to deal with this.
All they need to do is make sure their comps are played according to the rules of golf:
Rule 5.6a Unreasonable Delay of Play
You must not unreasonably delay play, either when playing a hole or between two holes.
Penalty for breach of rule 5.6a:
- First breach: one penalty stroke
- Second breach: general penalty
- Third breach: disqualification

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Why is this such a big deal. I mean it has no bearing on my Sunday hack around
This was kind of the point I was trying to make at the open when Darren Clark's group, which was first out, took 4.5 hours to complete. Has no bearing on me and the way the TV coverage was set up there's no way you were watching players hit shots all the time so them being slow doesn't really matter.

If someone's slow in our group when I play I speed up and make sure they know they're holding me back.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My son and I played this afternoon, we followed a 4 ball that looked like they were play The Open, so as hell, no way were they letting us through, marked everything and were taking forever. After 9 holes the chocie was get someone out of the clubhouse to get them to let us through or stick with it. My son said he had enough and lets go home as he didnt want the aggro, so we left.

Now I know this wasn't the right chocie but heck it's Sunday PM and all I want to do i play a nice friendly round of golf with my kid, not drag a ranger out, not argue with players in front either. Luckily not had this happen too often but god it's a drag

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why does a round of golf take longer now than it did 25 years ago?

D

Deleted member 15344

I believe that both girls in the match were slow but they kept pace with the group in front and indeed the group behind lost a hole , the girl in the video apparently was normally quicker than her competitor. There was a whole thread about it on Twitter - guess it’s easier to judge from one clip

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As an aside, was the pace of play in the Nicklaus era, say the early 70's slower than that of the previous generation. Did golf then get slower in Woods heyday and has it simply got slower again in the last decade again?

D

Deleted Member 1156

As an aside, was the pace of play in the Nicklaus era, say the early 70's slower than that of the previous generation. Did golf then get slower in Woods heyday and has it simply got slower again in the last decade again?
I believe Nicklaus was about when the last day of the Open was 36 holes but I may be wrong.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
My son and I played this afternoon, we followed a 4 ball that looked like they were play The Open, so as hell, no way were they letting us through, marked everything and were taking forever. After 9 holes the chocie was get someone out of the clubhouse to get them to let us through or stick with it. My son said he had enough and lets go home as he didnt want the aggro, so we left.

Now I know this wasn't the right chocie but heck it's Sunday PM and all I want to do i play a nice friendly round of golf with my kid, not drag a ranger out, not argue with players in front either. Luckily not had this happen too often but god it's a drag

This is the biggest issue raised in this thread re slow/selfish play to me. Kids potentially (or in reality in this example) being put off playing further because some idiots are taking forever and the risk of it putting them off the game altogether, painful to read really.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you talking pro golf or club golf?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Either. I am assuming, but interested in the views of others, that both the pros and amateur games have seen ongoing issues with the game getting slower and slower. Are both getting slower say every 15-20 years or is it just a perception?
cant say for the pro and cant say I care, but for club golf, in the last 10 years I have been regularly playing, I cant say there has been any change either way, no slower or faster

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Golf has got way slower, tennis also, and the over rate at cricket too. As people have become more pressed for time, oddly, sports have expanded, to become slower.

As for golf, there is now this view that it can't have been slow, as it only took 4 hours. Where did this 4 hour time come from? It is garbage. Golf used to be nearer 3 hours. Handicaps have not changed, equipment has got better, players have just got slower.

I played behind a few juniors recently. Jeez they were slow. Not bad players, just ludicrously slow. If they are the future of the game, we are doomed.