Jack Charlton, another legend gone

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For this Scottish schoolboy (and I suspect many others) Leeds of the late 60s and early-mid 70s were my English team - not for the success but because of the Scottish players of the time. I was asked last week about my English team - and if it is any team I suppose it still is Leeds - and that is down to the Leeds of Jack Charlton - so sad indeed to hear this news. RIP big man.
During that period every regular Leeds player was a full international player.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Peter Osgood won't be resting easy if Big Jack's popping in to see him; remember their battles in the 1970 FA Cup final & replay. They'd never have stayed on the pitch in this era.

A great player and a gentleman, one of those players who as an opposition supporter you didn't like but couldn't help but have admiration for. RIP Jack.
Proper CH.
It’s a pity it’s not like that anymore.(old school still)
RIP Jack.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
You lot came down to Wycombe in the 3rd round of the cup in '75...Middlesbrough were top of the 1st Division and we were in the Isthmian League..
Our ground Loakes Park sloped diagonally about 15 feet and it played havoc with the 'Boro boys.
12000 crammed in and watch us hold Big Jack's side to a goalless draw and Boro had but 1 shot on target.
Halfway through the 2nd half we nearly scored and the Wycombe fans, as one, started singing "Jackie Charlton's getting worried, Jackie Charlton's getting worried " etc.. I think I remember him standing up and clapping us....a Legend.

I know, coz I was there.......
So was he.......
Aged 14 & 12 respectively ?