Its Not The BRITISH OPEN!!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just heard them announce Harrington as the British Open Champion.

It makes my blood boil!!!!!

It is THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP.

When will the septics learn.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
haha thats a good point I never even thought about it. The trouble is they all have too big an ego to accept that ours is the original and the best, they therefore call it the British open as that deems their competition THE open. Now you have brought it to my attention that will probably annoy me as well, its one of those little irritating things that makes no odds but frustrates nonetheless.

It may well be done because some of the fans are so dumb that they didn't realise there were two open championships so they may get confused that two players are announced as open champion! They have to make a clear differentiation between the two.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It makes me turn into my dad,I catch myself shouting at the telly!

HID came home as I was in mid rant,I think she may be having me sectioned.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly the same as you Nico. I am a big Sergio fan so you can imagine what see thought when she walked in as he double bogeyed the first.

Its going to get even worse on the weekend during the Welsh game, What is Gatlan doing?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What are they both doing!

Garcia just shanked one into the canyon and I think Gatlan did the same with his selection.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ha, ha - me too.

I was 'It's not the British Open you stupid XXXXXX' - insert whatever you want.

Its the Yanks trying to re-write world history to suit what they want to teach their kids, who learn through TV and Hollywood movies.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They have to say 'British' as a small majority of US golf fans are idiots.

They have no respect, and just whoop whoop, in the hole, i feel like whoop whooping them in the hole when they say that.

Also it annoys me that the Us open and Masters have more cut scenes of scenery than actual golfing. When woods isnt playing a shot surely somewhere else on the course someone is?

Pjaz, U571 sums it up, apparently the US captured the Enigma machine!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife is so fed up hearing me going on about The "British" Open that she just rolls her eyes whenever the commentators say it. She just waits for the inevitable rant.
Also, I feel quite strongly that Padraig Harrington should be announced onto the tee as The Champion Golfer Of The Year

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well said Atticus,he should be announced as such because that is what he is!!

I cannot tell you how I feel when I hear those words "Winner of the Gold Medal and Champion Golfer Of The Year", makes me proud to be a Brit.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are we not being a bit precious here ? I know its THE open - You know its THE open and personally ( and i say this knowing i'm going to get shot down in flames ) i couldn't give a monkeys what the Yanks call it .

Remember , this is a country that has an in-house WORLD SERIES where baseball is concerned.

There are a lot more things in the world at the moment that i can think of , that would make me angry. Not a mis-pronounciation of The worlds best golf competition.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Well said Nomad - no flames from this direction!
Keep to the moral high ground - it's an easier shot from there!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do have a sense of perspective see my other recent post.

It is not a mis pronounciation more a mis understanding of history and tradition.

sandford93

Assistant Pro
Visit site
very annoying, they should get their heads sorted and realise that the open is the greatest golfing competition as it comes from the home of golf the Uk (st. andrews)

DCB

Visit site
I think you'll find that The Open was first played at Prestwick Golf Club in Ayrshire and the original trophy was a red leather belt with silver inlays and a fancy silver buckle!

The trophy we see awarded now, the Claret Jug, was donated by the R & A and The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, who now play at Muirfield.

It's still the one to win though!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All true,but it changes nothing.

It is THE OPEN, there is no other it is not our National Open. We have English,Welsh,Scottish,Irish Opens. Other Nations have Opens too,like the truly amazing spectacle we watched over the last 5 days but they are not THE OPEN.

This tournament has,is and always will be THE OPEN because it was the first truly open competition available to pro and amateur alike.

Ranting now,sorry folks.