It's not really for me to say - but at risk of a flaming

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Incidently I'm not excluding myself from some of these comments.

It has become increasingly 'unpleasant' on here over the last few months.

The list includes. Appauling language (even if abbreviated or ******* out), personnal attacks, both on the forum, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one to of received undesirable PMs. Some incredibly bad taste jokes, even to the point where it's suggested that a 'dirty jokes' thread is started. And so on.

Before anyone suggests that I'm 'old' or old fashioned, or one of the old hands on here. Or to 'get a life' or to 'lighten up' May I just remind you of the 'rules for this forum.

These were drawn up to keep this place reasonably 'clean' and friendly. After all, it's paid for by IPC and is not some teenage junk forum for all sorts of rubbish. If anyone wants to call me a GM 'luvvie' or sycophantic towards Mike or the rest of the GM team. I really don't care. I've heard it all before from someone else recently, and anyone that knows me, and has been around this forum long enough will be aware of my 'disagreements' with both Mike and Jezz.

Yes this is a 'free' forum. But we have to be responsable for it's content. It's unreasonable to expect a few mods to go through 200 to 300 posts a night to 'check' them.

So how about a bit of self regulation, and just a bit of decorum. I'm sure it's not too much to ask?

Yes, I can leave if I don't like it. But the reason I was here in the first place, was because it was a 'nice' place to be. I just don't think the forum should be hijacked and reduced to the lowest common denominator.

The rules. As posted by Mike Harris and still in the forum guidelines section.

* What is not acceptable...
1 Posts that contain any sexist, racist or homophobic content
2 Posts or PMs that are abusive to another forum member
3 Posts that contain swearing. I feel this also includes the use of asterisked out swear words. I think everyone on here is smart enough to be able to find non offensive ways of expressing themselves without having to resort to swearing and offending any other former.
4 Posts that are spam - i.e. posts or messages that are purely posted in a bid to trying to promote or sell services or products.
5 Deliberately posting off topic messages in the wrong forum.
6 Using the for sale forum as an ebay style shop. The for sale forum is for the sale of your own kit you no longer want.

Flame me if you want. But, I think it needed to be said. I don't think what I've written is unreasonable, or out of order. Only those that want to pick an argument about it will find the gaps in my post and pick it to bits. Don't. You get my gist of the post.

Peace.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a target recently (the craw in particular picking me out in his goodbye message) and having also received a number of personal PM's I concur 100%.

I'm not above having a laugh and the mickey taken out of me either here or at any of the forum meets but as HH says we are guests on a board run by a media company and which means we need to ensure we don't do anything that negatively impacts their reputation or brand.

That doesn't for one moment mean we have to become GM puppets and obligingly agree with everything they say or that discussion and even dis-agreements in threads is wrong. As said in another thread if everyone agreed with everything that was written it would become mind numbingly boring.

I actually think the forum is at its best when there are two polarised opinions being discussed and argued but we need to do so within the constraints on the rules laid down.

I'm probably sounding hypocritical now especially as I've not always been supportive to some forum members and I was probably wrong and out of order. I've heeded the mistakes and I think we all need to just take a small reality check and make sure we keep this as the best golf forum on the web and continue to reap the rewards that the close relationship the magazine has with its forum members has given us to date.