Its aint gonna happen

user104

Visit site
I tried lessons had 3 since new year and the discomfort i get is not good , i suffer with a neck prob and pins and needles in my left hand
so i am just gonna go down to my local 9 hole rough and ready course and the local pitch and putt near me
Thanks all for your advice etc
Cheers G

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 lessons inside a fortnight imo is two to many ,you need time to work on what was taught in the first lesson before going back for another only to be told possibly the same thing as you havent had time to work on the first lesson.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d also try and find a pro who understands your restrictions and limits. Our club had a great pro who had coached at county level but he tried a one swing fits all approach with a lot of members.

Don’t get me wrong he had me crunching my irons with a real low penetrating flight but I could only swing like that for 9 holes before the left knee would give out. I explained time over that I had no acl in the knee along with a lot of other damage but that was the swing he taught and that was that.

Between his “ideal” swing and my wonky knee is a middle ground, I’m sure the same should be said about your neck issues.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’d also try and find a pro who understands your restrictions and limits. Our club had a great pro who had coached at county level but he tried a one swing fits all approach with a lot of members.

This all day long. A good PGA pro will listen to you if you explain your restrictions and work proactively with you within the constraints. He/you should be able to work at your own pace but one lesson a month would be ample to give you a chance to work on what you are shown and to get out on the course and try the progress out in real conditions. I hope you can find someone that understands your need and can provide some professional advice to help you improve and that you get out and play well

D

Deleted member 3432

Don’t get me wrong he had me crunching my irons with a real low penetrating flight but I could only swing like that for 9 holes before the left knee would give out. I explained time over that I had no acl in the knee along with a lot of other damage but that was the swing he taught and that was that.

Between his “ideal” swing and my wonky knee is a middle ground, I’m sure the same should be said about your neck issues.

Totally agree with this. The first question my current pro asked me was if I had any physical issues/limitations that gave me problems when playing golf so we could find a swing to work around them.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally agree with this. The first question my current pro asked me was if I had any physical issues/limitations that gave me problems when playing golf so we could find a swing to work around them.

Ironically I had to fill in a physical questionnaire before any lessons... he just chose to flat out ignore it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I tried lessons had 3 since new year and the discomfort i get is not good , i suffer with a neck prob and pins and needles in my left hand
so i am just gonna go down to my local 9 hole rough and ready course and the local pitch and putt near me
Thanks all for your advice etc
Cheers G

I'm no medic, but pins and needles in the hand coupled with neck problems sounds like a pinched nerve or some kind of thoracic compression. Have you thought about getting treatment for your neck, either physio or chiro/ Osteo? I suffer niggling back issues caused by not getting treatment on a back injury when I was younger. Nowadays, playing golf 4 times a week (summer) and doing Aikido 3 times a week (regular stretching and getting chucked around) actually mostly helps keep it in shape, but can agravate it. A quick trip to the chiro when needed (a couple of times a year) usually resolves any lingering issues. If you get the physical issue sorted, it will hopefully help improve your body, allowing you to enjoy and increase your ability to play more golf (if that's what you want to do).

On the golf side, at the moment, I'm having a lesson weekly/ every two weeks, and I'm on the range 3 times a week, and playing 9 or 18 holes on Saturday and Sunday where possible. There are times when I feel a little tired :rolleyes: but if I keep the back issues in check it doesn't usually restrict my golf :).

Fabia999

Visit site
If you want to continue playing - find a pro who understands the problems you're having and can work around it. Everyone plays golf differently but most of all.. enjoy it!

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i suffer with a neck prob and pins and needles in my left hand
Someone has already said it but you should probably see a physio. I had similar issues a few years ago, which started with shoulder pain, then elbow pain and finally pins & needles/tingling in my fingers. My issue was that my vertebrae had got 'jammed' up and was squeezing the nerve (likely caused by sitting at a desk all day but also as my spine was slightly more curved than normal - also have terrible posture), so the physio managed to mobilize these vertebrae over a few sessions. I now have a 20 min chiro appointment every 2 months or so, which seems to keep everything in check and (touch wood), haven't had a repeat of the problems.

user104

Visit site
I`ve decided not to pursue the golf `hobby` anymore ,well proper golf anyway my health issues and lack of natural talent wont allow it. but even though i cant play fullsized golf !!! I do enjoy pitch and putt ........... gently does it ...........and guess what i can have a chipper lol
thanks to all for help,advice and encouragement,good luck to all this year on the course plenty of birdies with a few eagles, the odd albatross chucked in for good measure and maybe a few aces :D
Thanks again
G:)

if i win the lottery i`m gonna buy a golf course and you can all come play for free:cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I`ve decided not to pursue the golf `hobby` anymore ,well proper golf anyway my health issues and lack of natural talent wont allow it. but even though i cant play fullsized golf !!! I do enjoy pitch and putt ........... gently does it ...........and guess what i can have a chipper lol
thanks to all for help,advice and encouragement,good luck to all this year on the course plenty of birdies with a few eagles, the odd albatross chucked in for good measure and maybe a few aces :D
Thanks again
G:)

if i win the lottery i`m gonna buy a golf course and you can all come play for free:cool:
Thats bad news. Have you taken medical advice to come to that decision and spoke to any pros about your health issues? Of course you know your body best so if it won't take the stress then not much you can do. Enjoy whatever type of golf you do play, even if that is just pitch and putt

user104

Visit site
i have been going to my local pitch and putt but today with the sun shining i could resist a trip down to my local 9 hole course, the usual mixed bag of shots ,i did keep score (not telling) just so i can work out a handicap !!!!! (using that golfshake handicap calculator) and i didn`t feel to bad , i`m not bothered about the clubs i carry just got a 3&5 wood 6,7,8 iron plus sw and i did buy a chipper from my local charity shop for £2.49 :D plus a putter
I just like golf even if i cant play the game :LOL:
oh this is the honest truth................. my last shot was a 20 plus yd putt which broke right ,then left and dropped :cool:
Cheers G