Its a funny old game.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Morning All,
At the weekend I had my best & worst round of the year so far, I finished Saturday morning with a 84 which brought some movement on my hcp, then yesterday I shot a 92, what's worse is that my first 9 holes ended in a 51!! (9 hole course). At this point panic set in and my luck started to change, on the 10th I holed a 20 yard putt to birdie, then on the 11th drove 260 yards to par the next, the 13th dog leg 460yrd par 4 I broke my all time record by driving 270yards around the bend and a 7i to the green (which I par'd) then the 15th I sliced!! low safety shot through the trees and a pitch to 15 foot to the hole, which I dropped!! ended with 41 second and draw the game, You just have to love this game don't you.

I think my 84 was mainly because my playing partner started throwing his clubs about and this kind of drove me on. Just on that note, does anyone else experience a playing partner doing this? I mean the guy is also trying to smash the ball into next week and sometimes it works and others it doesn’t, but this time he topped the ball about 10 foot from the tee and the club followed (going further I must add), it was the second time on the round he did this, I think next time I may have a word about it as I have my step son with me sometimes, though wasn’t playing on Saturday, I know it happens at times with us all but on two holes in a row and when one of us makes a way ward shot his smug grin is ever so present grrr.

Rant over, but I have fallen head over heals for this game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, shot 88 on saturday, and 81 on sunday. I always thought as I got better at this game, that there would be less of a discrepancy between the good and the bad, but no, this is not the case. Have not shot 100 recently though.

On the club chucking front, this can happen, and is very off putting for playing partners. As an occasional grump myself, you don't realise how off putting this can be until you play with someone worse. You need to subtly point out that this is ruining your enjoyment of your hobby. It also depends if he stays miserable for long. If it is only for a few moments, and then he is back to normal then this is better than if one bad shot makes him grumpy the whole way round.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done Parmo!

Used to play with a guy just like that (note the used) one of his tantrums included taking a swipe at the green with his putter and carving a chunk out of it! (nice)

Never been able to understand it at our level let's face it unless you are a very low handicap player you are bound to get a few poor shots every round you play. still as they say if you want to find out about someones character play golf with them.

Whenever I make a bad shot (which is often) I use the following "mantra" it's a little white ball you are trying to put in a little white hole, it's a game nothing more nothing less!

I'd have two words with him reality and check!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played twice recently with a friend who is a lot better than me (for now). I didn't think it of him but he's a club and ball chucker - I think it looks stupid and this has a calming effect on me. I just try to play the next hole better.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played today and started off badly, was 4 over through 3 with the rain testing me!

Then it cleared up, was playing with my mate the pro and another guy who is pretty handy!

Had a very average round for my liking and shot a 90 but i did finsih with 3 solid pars, score never bothered me but walked off with a big smile!

Dave the pro almost drove the green on a 320 yard par 4 and chipped in for Eagle, was good to see as he is struggling to put a round together!

I do love this game!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Club chuckers are funny breeds, you can either ignore them and let them dig their own hole or else you can make a witty line and shame them into stopping (for the day at least) saying something like "well that was a better release than last time"

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Friday and had a game of two halves - 53 out and 45 back. Wasn't playing bad on the front 9 just kept finding the bunker, then couldn't hit a bad shot on 10-17 , including 4 pars (including a chip in for par, boy that feels good), only let myself down on 18 with a poor tee shot and walked off with a 6.

Not bad considering I took my 4 year old along to play, and he never shut up!!! He loves his golf though.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must be fairly fortunate to have never encountered a club chucker first hand. I have played with some of the angriest golfers you could imagine yet I have not once seen somebody throw a club. I have seen people stamp on and kick the ground (luckily not on a green!) and mutter various obscenities but not once has somebody launched a club.