Isle of purbeck golf course

gopher99

Visit site
Has anyone played this course recently, and would you recommend playing it on a trip to Bournemouth. We are looking at playing this and one other course, so any other course suggestions welcome.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s pretty good. Great views, I played last summer and the condition was average, but I understand there’s limits to what they can do as it’s National trust land.
Don’t expect a manicured course but on a sunny calm day there’s few places better to be.

What’s your budget for the other course? If it’s c£80 per round I’d go one of broadstone/parkstone/ferndown. Can’t go wrong with any of em

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sadly it has suffered during lockdown. Greens are still not good (but views are).

Think the National Trust comment is not the reason for the condition.

gopher99

Visit site
I am guessing they have reduced the fees, as the course isnt yet in top condition. Like most of the other courses have reduced green fees till maintenance is done etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played it once , July last year, no views due to low cloud.

Too many blind tee shots and the slowest greens I played anywhere that year.

Slightly further afield

Bramshaw

Never played there myself but others in my club have recommended Barton on Sea.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played it once , July last year, no views due to low cloud.

Too many blind tee shots and the slowest greens I played anywhere that year.

Slightly further afield

Bramshaw

Never played there myself but others in my club have recommended Barton on Sea.

Bramshaw/Barton nowhere near as good as those recommended by TheRod earlier in the thread, Bramshaw may be a cheaper option, Barton is just overpriced relatively

D

Deleted Member 1156

Broadstone is not taking visitors at the moment, members and guests only I'm afraid.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As alternatives to the top end courses already mentioned some cheaper options are Meyrick Park and Knighton Heath which are both in the town. Avoid Queens Park, its become very run down.
Bit further out there is The Dorset which is a decent test, Crane Valley and Moors Valley.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As alternatives to the top end courses already mentioned some cheaper options are Meyrick Park and Knighton Heath which are both in the town. Avoid Queens Park, its become very run down.
Bit further out there is The Dorset which is a decent test, Crane Valley and Moors Valley.

Is it Queens park or meyrick park that has public paths everywhere with people who don't even look up to see if a golfer is about before walking across said path?

Enjoyed both when I played them at the time despite this

Isle of Purbeck was a lovely course .. if others are saying ATM it's not good thats a same because if was a joy to play

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is it Queens park or meyrick park that has public paths everywhere with people who don't even look up to see if a golfer is about before walking across said path?

Isle of Purbeck was a lovely course .. if others are saying ATM it's not good thats a same because if was a joy to play

lots of paths and plenty of dog walkers across Queens Park, mainly to the woods in the middle, dont think Meyrick is as bad but does have some paths

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Knighton Heath member here. Our course is open to visitors mon-fri after 2pm only at the moment
Greens are pretty good currently, but as usual for heathland this time of year our grass is pretty browned out on some of the higher holes. No random people meandering round the course though unlike queens park and to a lesser extent meyrick.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Both! But Queens is worse. The courses are built on common land so the public have right of way and they exercise that right. I've seen people having picnics in the middle of fairways oblivious to the danger of flying golf balls.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Knighton Heath member here. Our course is open to visitors mon-fri after 2pm only at the moment
Greens are pretty good currently, but as usual for heathland this time of year our grass is pretty browned out on some of the higher holes. No random people meandering round the course though unlike queens park and to a lesser extent meyrick.
Yep Knighton Heath is worth trip. Nice heathland course with some great holes? Still on the edge of my seat waiting to find out the OP’s budget.
Maybe Solent meads would be more fitting, who knows? ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yep Knighton Heath is worth trip. Nice heathland course with some great holes? Still on the edge of my seat waiting to find out the OP’s budget.
Maybe Solent meads would be more fitting, who knows? ?
If Solent Meads is in the mix then surely we should mention Royal Parley as well? :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both! But Queens is worse. The courses are built on common land so the public have right of way and they exercise that right. I've seen people having picnics in the middle of fairways oblivious to the danger of flying golf balls.

Whilst we enjoyed the course it did make it an uncomfortable round.. I mean not knowing if you are going to kill someone at any given point

D

Deleted Member 1156

Whilst we enjoyed the course it did make it an uncomfortable round.. I mean not knowing if you are going to kill someone at any given point
Oh I dunno, I found it adds to the excitement. After all, if they are stupid enough to argue with a golf ball hit with a driver then taking one out is doing the gene pool a favour :oops: