Is this wedge legit?

masterosouffle

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought this wedge of eBay this evening, but have since compared it to my SM5 that I bought from American Golf and have noticed a few differences...
The stickers at the top of the club are spaced differently to mine, plus a biggie of the serial number being obscured...
Mine has smaller numbers on the sole and the bounce number is coloured in red.
On the back of the club mine has black infill, whereas this is white.
Are these likely to be Just a different paint job, it is a different wedge after all, or do they point towards a dodgy club?

Here's a link to the club
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291242953039

Cheers for your help!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Take the club to an authorised retailer who will be able to tell you whether or not the club is genuine. If you're not 100% certain of it's authenticity, then ebay is probably one of last places to purchase a club - and then question your purchase. However, if you use Paypal, then you have an even chance of getting your money back. Use a bit of common sense, because frankly this kind of "buyer fret" is getting old pretty fast. In other words, rather than questioning your own buying tactics - buy from a reputable (i.e. authorised) source and you will not need to ask if it's genuine.

masterosouffle

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is local to me, so I will be picking it up, I thought that whatever happens I can gave a good look at it before handing any dash over, hence the reason I was checking my facts.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Refer you concerns to the seller, then ebay. I can't speak on the behalf on the forum in general, but there's a fair chance that nobody is really interested in your buying habits.

masterosouffle

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is there a particular reason you feel the need to be an arse?
If you feel this way you could have quite easily not replied, I was after some quite specific and easy answers on wether some club features were likely to be found on genuine club, forgive me for offending you.
As you say you can't speak on behalf of the rest of the forum, but if you are uninterested, I am surprised you felt compelled to reply twice, now, if you could just wander off and play your "I have lots of posts" forum games elsewhere it would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Refer you concerns to the seller, then ebay. I can't speak on the behalf on the forum in general, but there's a fair chance that nobody is really interested in your buying habits.

Very much believe that is out of order

The OP has asked for some advice in regards a club purchase he has made - as do many other people on here because we are a friendly bunch and the OP could find the answer he is looking for from someone

What he doesn't expect is for someone to talk down to him and judge him like you have done

D

Deleted member 15344

I bought this wedge of eBay this evening, but have since compared it to my SM5 that I bought from American Golf and have noticed a few differences...
The stickers at the top of the club are spaced differently to mine, plus a biggie of the serial number being obscured...
Are these likely to be Just a different paint job, it is a different wedge after all, or do they point towards a dodgy club?

Cheers for your help!

Looks pretty legit to my untrained eye :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having followed that link, the 'additional/similar items you might be interested in' pics show a variety of in-fill colours.

That scratch across the serial number looks just that - there's normally another on the back of the hosel too.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Cheers for your help!

Sticker look legit with a bit of bag wear.

Comparing to your own will show significantly differences anyway. M Grind has numbers more on the toe where the F grind has it on the sole. The photo show far to much dirt on the infill of the numbers to be sure of colours tbh. Also looks like the club finish is the gold nickel (yellowish colouring in the photos) which has worn though play rather than tour chrome. This has white infill. Infill and detailing looks to be a high standard and who be one of the main give aways I'd look out for with a club.

If I were bidding on it I'd be pretty confident it was real based on those photos.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Why do you always feel the need to make comments like that, it's not the first time I have seen you giving responses like that to people.

If you have nothing to say then leave it that way. This is just someone asking advice from people that might be more in the know.....

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers for your help guys!
Looking forward to picking it up this evening now :)

It looks pretty ok to my, also, untrained eye.

I'd ignore Nemicu, he seems to delight in being obnoxious. The forum and it's members are generally really good, helpful people who will give advice and help to anyone and the forum meets are some of the most enjoyable golf you'd get to play!

G

guest100718

Some responses may be a bit OTT, but I never understand why so many buy stuff from ebay then immediatley question if its real or not.

c1pjr

Hacker
Visit site
I'd be very careful with buying clubs off ebay. I bought a set of irons on there once and it wasnt until I was having a lesson with my local pro that he noticed they were fakes. Good fakes apparently, but still fakes. I was a bit suspect about it as they were meant to have project x shafts, and it came with the project x sticker on but it also had the dynamic gold shaft sticker on. They were quite clearly just the dynamic gold shafts.

Saying that though there is people simply just selling some of their old equipment on ebay so it could be legit

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd be very careful with buying clubs off ebay. I bought a set of irons on there once and it wasnt until I was having a lesson with my local pro that he noticed they were fakes. Good fakes apparently, but still fakes. I was a bit suspect about it as they were meant to have project x shafts, and it came with the project x sticker on but it also had the dynamic gold shaft sticker on. They were quite clearly just the dynamic gold shafts.

Saying that though there is people simply just selling some of their old equipment on ebay so it could be legit

I would have thought there was a bit of a give-away! PX shafts are stepless and (apart from Black Gold) Dynamic Gold are stepped!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Some responses may be a bit OTT, but I never understand why so many buy stuff from ebay then immediatley question if its real or not.

My point entirely. I'm sure those with much better eloquence could probably put the case across a lot better, but if you've purchased an item from ebay and then have to question if it's genuine then you've clearly missed the common sense bus. Why not ask the seller to confirm it's authenticity prior to bidding? Or better still, buy the wedge from an authorise retailer.
Who is the real arse? Yup - I'm really jealous.