Is this the end of WFH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like JRM is serious about return to office.. he seems to leaving this note for civil servants who aren’t at their desks… (though if CS are hot desking, then I don’t know who gets it)

96A3CF98-0BC3-40FF-B82A-A42D86C01227.jpeg

But looks like not every arm of the govt is convinced

DAF00CE6-3F5E-4BAB-9852-20522E8F1E20.jpeg

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like JRM is serious about return to office.. he seems to leaving this note for civil servants who aren’t at their desks… (though if CS are hot desking, then I don’t know who gets it)

View attachment 42366

But looks like not every arm of the govt is convinced

View attachment 42367

Minister for government efficiency.. how much did these notes cost to print and is it a good use of time going around handing them out?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not that I or the Mrs can work from home but , to a large extent, I hope it stays.
Our Driving Test Centre is on one corner of a block about the size of a football field.
Before Covid the car park was rammed and with people's dodgy parking it was very tight for the kids getting in and out.
Since Covid there's about 3 cars in the car park and they belong to the Examiners....brilliant.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like JRM is serious about return to office.. he seems to leaving this note for civil servants who aren’t at their desks… (though if CS are hot desking, then I don’t know
"Dear JRM,

Sorry I was out doing my job when you called. If you'd told me of your intention, i could have saved you from wasting government time..
Yours sincerely

Unimpressed Minion."

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well JRM is warning civil servants he will sell their offices if they don't stop working from home. Looks like Govt taking a leaf from the private sector book. Though I doubt they will sell any part of Whitehall and surroundings.

https://apple.news/A-t7Sx0zZTceY-2wu7rsd3Q

Last edited by a moderator:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Well ahead of the pandemic, there was a programme of not renewing leases on government buildings where appropriate to save money. Folk were being encouraged to work at hubs, and from home. There is a cross government wifi network to enable flexibility on locations.

The drivers behind this are the Civil Service, not the Ministers. It also predates Cameron getting the Tories back in. We had a whole floor of the building in Southampton occupied by another Agency for years.

My old role has a CEO who wants folk back in, unless they are a contactor who lives miles away. The Minister made it clear it was up to operational requirements of the Agency. I can't speak for JRMs folk, but I suspect its more about him, than the process.

I only spent 6 years of my working life in the Public Sector. Some of it is a bit "Yes Minister," and some is excellent. But most of what you read about it is nonsense. ;)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well ahead of the pandemic, there was a programme of not renewing leases on government buildings where appropriate to save money. Folk were being encouraged to work at hubs, and from home. There is a cross government wifi network to enable flexibility on locations.

The drivers behind this are the Civil Service, not the Ministers. It also predates Cameron getting the Tories back in. We had a whole floor of the building in Southampton occupied by another Agency for years.

My old role has a CEO who wants folk back in, unless they are a contactor who lives miles away. The Minister made it clear it was up to operational requirements of the Agency. I can't speak for JRMs folk, but I suspect its more about him, than the process.

I only spent 6 years of my working life in the Public Sector. Some of it is a bit "Yes Minister," and some is excellent. But most of what you read about it is nonsense. ;)

I used to contract with some Dept many years ago and agree with your view. As Sir Humphrey would say, the country runs despite the politicians rather than due to them.

Don’t be too critical of politicians else JRM May ask his Nanny to have a word with you.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep. Sorting out skivers is easier when they are sat in front of you, but doing it remotely isn't impossible either.

Even before covid, look around the office after 6pm, and the proportion of contractors to permies was significant!:ROFLMAO: Mind you, were they being productive, or just present?;)

I actually think this is easier as it's more noticeable now when WFH or supposedly WFH. Productivity has definitely increased at our place as you don't have the distractions you had whilst in the office. This was noticeable when I went in the office earlier this week. Half the day was a quick chat here, catch up here, could we have 5 minutes to discuss this etc.

Skivers will definitely be identified, I know in our team they have.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I actually think this is easier as it's more noticeable now when WFH or supposedly WFH. Productivity has definitely increased at our place as you don't have the distractions you had whilst in the office. This was noticeable when I went in the office earlier this week. Half the day was a quick chat here, catch up here, could we have 5 minutes to discuss this etc.

Skivers will definitely be identified, I know in our team they have.

Next 3 days I am going to go into the office. I have my Out of Office switched on saying that my email responses will be delayed as I will be spending time talking to people, coffee catch ups, quick connects etc. no chance of any work getting done

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn't work in an office. I go in once a month at the very most and I try to avoid that!!! I worked from home way before the pandemic though and have a dedicated office at home (OK, its more like a gym these days with a small desk, but its dedicated space!)

I have mates who were full-time London commuters, many going back a bit but not full 5 days. Many are now going Tue, Wed and Thu and working from home Mon and Fri. They are called TWATS. Tues, Weds And Thurs'S.

Last edited:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
First meeting back in the office on Thursday, project manager said she'll be going for the 1.5hour meeting and then shooting off around lunchtime.
Doing the 20mile commute will be much more pleasant at 12pm than 5pm for me. Hope it continues like this.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
We have started a bit of a hybrid system and whilst it makes life cushy. It's so easy to see the difference on productivity for the people at home.

The fact so many chose Mon and Friday as their WFH days shows they just see it as easy Street and extend their weekends.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have started a bit of a hybrid system and whilst it makes life cushy. It's so easy to see the difference on productivity for the people at home.

The fact so many chose Mon and Friday as their WFH days shows they just see it as easy Street and extend their weekends.

Or Friday can start early finish early or on time no commute so can start weekend and no commute Monday so enjoy a better work life balance

How very dare they

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm with Paul James on this one.

Every study so far seems to suggest that wfh is a positive for both productivity and mental health, the outlier here seems to be you, who appears to have an inbuilt negative attitude on the work ethics of your staff. Ever considered the problem may be your lack of trust, and problems kick on from there?

Always easy to label the 18-25 as lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.