Is this the doomed Open?

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having spent two days this weekend at the open and now sitting in the airport waiting to one home it is some what of an anti climax to a great comp.

We had a frustrating day Saturday waiting for play to start, yes it was windy but you have to wonder how much player power effected the desion to hold of play and this is something the R&A may need to address or look into but i fear they would be fighting a losing battle. From around one oclock the consus was that the wind had died on course but you can understand the players like speith or Jonson wanting a level playing field. Had they had a stronger stance and with two tee starts it would surely be possible to carry out the third round with two tee starts and over late afternoon early morning finish following on to carry out the final round after again with two tee starts.

Having spoken to people on the course who will be unable to attend today having flown from all across the globe you can't help but think this has done the game in the UK serious harm as these events will make people think twice before spending thier once in a life time trip looking at an empty windy course.

If player power did have a major bearing on this that is truely truely sad.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you can't help but think this has done the game in the UK serious harm as these events will make people think twice before spending thier once in a life time trip looking at an empty windy course.

No offence, I know you were disappointed but this will not have madd one iota of difference to the game in the UK. Noone will stop playing because of it, and if anything, the exciting finish on a Monday may drive a bit more excitement into it. Even if it doesn't, doubt it will make a negative difference.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No offence, I know you were disappointed but this will not have madd one iota of difference to the game in the UK. Noone will stop playing because of it, and if anything, the exciting finish on a Monday may drive a bit more excitement into it. Even if it doesn't, doubt it will make a negative difference.

To be fair I was thinking about people traveling over to watch

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I understand the frustration of those who bought a Sat ticket (for the lack of golf) and those who bought a Sunday ticket ( thinking they would see the final day), but Sunday and Monday were two of the best days of competitive golf in a long time. I also think that the opportunity for people to pay £10 on the door yesterday may just have attracted some new fans (who may begrudge or cant afford teh full price) to watch and even try golf in the future