Is this the doomed Open?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's been an unlucky show so far and will be recorded in the history books as a cursed Open. The weather, the Rory ankle, the decisions made today...

However. I and others amongst the Scottish contingent have been saying for months that the weather here has been unusual this year. It feels like the wind has never ceased.

Earlier in the year I played the Old in 45 mph westerly winds along with over 120 others in a medal. The course was playable but brutal. The wind today is about the same. Fact is that the professionals demand unsuitably fast greens for the conditions we were likely to expect given the wteather patterns this year.

But retrospect is a great thing. The other observation I've been banging on about this year is that the weather forecasts have been significantly wrong every week. You're almost better off looking at the opposite of the forecasts.

So all in all, links golf has been affected weather. No surprise there then.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see the issue finishing on Monday. Better to have the final two rounds played on Separate days than try to squeeze them into one day or cancelling one of them.

From my own selfish point of view a Monday finish means that I will not be able to watch play from 3 out of the 4 days play. Can't even pull a sickie. :(

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been off the radar with the sport today.

A question to all our Scottish contingent, GM staffers and anyone up and around Fife......is it / was the course unplayable ?????

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sat here in the GM house in St Andrews we debated whether this Open Championship is doomed...
here's Contributing Ed, Fergus Bisset's take on things
http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tour/open-championship/open-news/the-doomed-open-76024
what are your thoughts?

PS its 3.40 and if anything the wind seems to be picking up and we are 2 miles inland

Dunno what the problem is - me and the missus are considering driving up and back all in the same day on the Monday to watch it.:mmm:

We'll make our mind up tomorrow.:thup:

Anyone else thinking - what the hell?

Last edited:

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been off the radar with the sport today.

A question to all our Scottish contingent, GM staffers and anyone up and around Fife......is it / was the course unplayable ?????

No it was playable, they just couldn't be bothered :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I'd call it doomed but it hasn't been a classic for a host of reasons. Hopefully they'll play tomorrow, get the third round done and finish on Monday. At least the players know where they stand and can prepare accordingly

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When play restarts and for the final two rounds it may be the perfect opportunity to tell the players to get on with it and hurry up. Speed of play has been dreadful as usual.

No excuses whatsoever for that.
It's them bloody seniors, they should only be allowed on cour. . . Oh wait wrong thread.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
With a Monday finish I have, as the Yanks say, "Lucked out" (absolutely damnable expression)

I have a mixed foursomes to play tomorrow afternoon but I am on a day off on Monday, so it's happy days for me.

I love "Open Sunday" and doubt if I've missed one this past 25 years, but now will enjoy 'Open Monday" instead. Commiserations to those who have to work.

Last edited:

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It had delays due to wind in 2010 as well. Boring course, terrible to spectate at, if it wasn't for all this home of golf guff it'd be off the rota

One of the reasons why I love golf is because its history is so cherished. I for one would be gutted if the Old Course was removed

D

Deleted member 17920

Tenner a ticket for final day if you're not working which is ideal
Sorry, I know it's only a tenner but it should be free for anyone that attends on the Monday.

and is it really that cold in fife as I have never seen so many won't hats and mitts in the middle of July. Pampered pros!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest are tickets for the final day of The Open usually any more expensive than the other 3 days as you get to see the climax of the event?