Is this the doomed Open?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every cloud... Lovin' the Davis Cup...

I am sure it will all come good in the end...

Might not be so understanding if I'd laid out a lot of my hard earned to be there...
Only to be having to head home without seeing the result....

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cant get why they were moaning about it being cold last night, we came of the course at 9pm last night and it wasnt bad, and i was only 10 mins away, the players are pampered to much these days.

D

Deleted member 3432

When play restarts and for the final two rounds it may be the perfect opportunity to tell the players to get on with it and hurry up. Speed of play has been dreadful as usual.

No excuses whatsoever for that.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably not doomed but a bit of a damp squib so far and certainly beset by problems and an annoying set of circumstances.

But it's Britain and it's high Summer...so... in an odd way not entirely unexpected :mmm:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I don't believe it is.

Of course circumstances will play there part especially if a few shots are dropped tonight if they get out that is.

But it always comes down to the final 9 holes whatever day it finishes and you never know it could become a classic.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When play restarts and for the final two rounds it may be the perfect opportunity to tell the players to get on with it and hurry up. Speed of play has been dreadful as usual.

No excuses whatsoever for that.

Not that simple with double greens and fairways.....

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why not let the 2nd round lot finish ASAP, cancel the 3rd round and still finish the comp tomorrow?

Terrible idea. Sorry, just a no! You'd be pretty annoyed if your somebody like Danny Willet, lets say he doesn't win, and you'd possible be thinking for the rest of your life, I wonder what would have been if I had played four rounds (like every other golf major/tournament)....

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why not let the 2nd round lot finish ASAP, cancel the 3rd round and still finish the comp tomorrow?

I don't see the issue finishing on Monday. Better to have the final two rounds played on Separate days than try to squeeze them into one day or cancelling one of them.

D

Deleted member 3432

Not that simple with double greens and fairways.....

I understand the Old Course causes difficulty in this regard but this is a comment on the pace of play in pro golf.

Players looked to be faffing about last night waiting for it to get dark and play suspended. No doubt hoping to get some better conditions this morning........

I reckon an elite amateur event would have got them round easily yesterday, officials in these events don't mess about with slow coaches.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So was the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor the "doomed Ryder Cup"?

Strange thread. Weather delays happen everywhere. Electrical activity in the US causes huge delays at times!

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No, don't think that it's doomed. The weather is an integral part of the game and the winnerwill be the one who deals with the total challenge put in front of them.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Ray Floyd said about the 82 USPGA when the temperatures were above 40 degrees: "They've still got to crown a champion." Or words to that effect.

There's a major on offer here, and a chance for someone's life to change dramatically, regardless of what the weather does.