Is this ruling correct?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Yesterday, our comp was a medal played over 15 holes due to a section of the course being waterlogged. The computer advised players when signing in of the shots received as well as handicap (e.g for me it said "Handicap 6, Strokes received 5").

We had a scorecard returned by a guy off 8. He had not entered his name or handicap in the box provided at the top of the scorecard. He had put 7 (i.e. the shots he should get) in the handicap box underneath the gross score and worked out his nett score correctly.

OK. We cannot apply any penalty for not entering his name as it's the committees responsibility (it was clear who's card it was from the signature btw). Also, there is no penalty for entering handicap in the wrong place on a scorecard so long as it IS recorded somewhere. So, I don't think we have any alternative than to take the 7 entered to be his handicap which would then give him only 6 shots and increase his nett score by 1. In other words he has entered a lower handicap on his card and therefore has to play off it.

This is obviously harsh but is it "harsh but fair"? Also, anyone have an alternate view or have we missed anything?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not an expert in thse matters but I think this came up before and it looks like it is covered by decision

6-2b/0.5 Meaning of “Handicap” When Full Handicap Not Used

Q. It is the condition of a stroke-play competition (e.g. four-ball) that players will not receive their full handicap allowances. Under Rule 6-2b, what is the player responsible for recording on his score card?

A.He must record his full handicap. It is the Committee's responsibility to apply the condition of competition to adjust his handicap

So looks like you have to take the 7 as being the full handcap. Did it affect the result?
A lot of the Rules of Golf are harsh - whether they are fair is another matter. :confused:

Maybe in situations like this a little notice where the cards are collected or handed in reminding players that they should still enter their FULL h/cap on the cards would avoid a similar problem in future.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The player has declared his handicap as 7, and then the rules of the competition are applied, so he gets 6. I agree that this is fair but I am not convinced it is particularly harsh, actually.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If it makes any difference to the result (prizes/buffer/0.1) then he gets 6.
If it makes no difference give him 7 but let him know his mistake
After all, it's not The Open.
If he came 23rd and nett 78 and you only give him 6 not 7, you may make a miserable golfer feel even worse.

I'm sure some rules bod will say NOOOOOOOO, rules are rules.
It's only a g
ame for goodness sake

Last edited: