Is this parody or character assassination?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Respected golf writer Dan Jenkins wrote the following article about Tiger Woods for Golf Digest:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-12/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger

Tiger was so angry about it that he wrote a reply piece denouncing it:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/tiger-woods-straight-up-not-true-not-funny/

Apparently Jenkins has been covering golf for 60 years and has always had it in for Tiger going right back to his first appearances on the PGA tour. He claims this article was parody/satire and says he thinks he actually went easy on Tiger. The problem is that satire is supposed to be funny and this piece is about as funny as a fire in an orphanage. Do you think Tiger was right to speak out or has he just shown a serious sense of humour failure?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was just a nasty, unfunny piece of writing. Tiger doesn't do it for me, never has, but that is just nastiness for the sake of it. Really poor journalism and I am surprised the guys editor let it through.

I don't blame Tiger for responding and the response was very calm and measured, simply this stepped over the line.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was actually embarrassed for him as I read that...

I am amazed anyone found that funny enough to actually act out aswell.

Fair play to Tiger's response and it has probably worked in his favour anyway

D

Deleted member 15344

Well it appears someone doesn't like Woods

Within the "interview" he might have had some relevant points but it was wrapped up in a bizzare mix of bile and rubbish

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think tiger shouldn't have bitten. He's had worse written about him. His response just fuels other idiots

Tiger should have just said

" think I'll go and wipe my ass with a bunch of 50's"

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Dan Jenkins has been a massively influential golf journalist over the years and has the platform of America's biggest sports publications to air his views - so Tiger had to respond in my opinion. Sadly Dan has become a snarkey old git in recent years - especially where Tiger is concerned.

It's sad that Jenkins has lowered himself to this level - time for him to be retired.

G

guest100718

A couple of amusing lines in there, the rest is a bit meh.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd expect something like that from a no name journalist trying to make a name for himself not a supposedly well respected one.

I'm surprised Golf Digest published it to be honest.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was just a nasty, unfunny piece of writing. Tiger doesn't do it for me, never has, but that is just nastiness for the sake of it. Really poor journalism and I am surprised the guys editor let it through.

I don't blame Tiger for responding and the response was very calm and measured, simply this stepped over the line.

The above! Sadly in the cyber world responding is pretty hard... as most of us know...

gdc

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't believe a writer of 60 years couldn't come up with better than that. Just full of cheap shots and wasn't in the slightest bit amusing.

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is pretty pathetic and not funny in the slightest. Not sure why Tiger felt he needed to respond to it, but I assume they have a history that I don't know about. Maybe he was hoping to get the bloke fired, like the 'little girl' Poulter did the other week.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There is an old saying that goes along the lines of you can go through life doing no wrong, but the day that you do will be the only thing that you will be remembered for.

For me as much as Tiger was not my favourite sportsman, it was drivel writing.
That one piece put this unknown writer on the front page.
Two he will be remembered as a bitter and twisted writer who fellow golf players will not trust when giving interviews if that is how he can behave.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There is an old saying that goes along the lines of you can go through life doing no wrong, but the day that you do will be the only thing that you will be remembered for.

For me as much as Tiger was not my favourite sportsman, it was drivel writing.
That one piece put this unknown writer on the front page.
Two he will be remembered as a bitter and twisted writer who fellow golf players will not trust when giving interviews if that is how he can behave.

bit like the guy who was never off sick at work for 20 years, the day he was is the day they remember

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
PS meant to say as well, I don't just blame him for writing it, but who is the fool that actually said yeah let's go with that. Golf Digest might well have done itself irrepairable damage.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That does come across a pretty vindictive. Reads like someone who was not allowed to write a straight, warts and all critique of Tiger so went for the 'humour' approach. A massive editorial fail in my mind. Wonder how much of the Nike advertising budget will be spent with Golf Digest now.