Is this parody or character assassination?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Commercial stunt to increase sales of a struggling magazine and increase clicks on their website. There are far better assassinations of Tiger to be enjoyed if you're interested.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
A very poor piece and i think this will run a little while yet.
GB makes a good point about Nike advertising budget and one of the few major sponsors to stick with Tiger can't see they are going to be impressed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, Dan Jenkins has always thought he was absolutely hilarious.

Most of the stuff in the fake interview is rehashed versions of stuff we have always known about Tiger, so nothing really new or interesting added. Tiger's response, though, rather overcooks things. "Journalistically and ethically, can you sink any lower?". Gee, Tiger, all the guy did was to take the Mickey. He didn't strangle any babies or collaborate with tyrants.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Commercial stunt to increase sales of a struggling magazine and increase clicks on their website. There are far better assassinations of Tiger to be enjoyed if you're interested.
Judging by the public reaction to this article, I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a lot more sales and subscribers than they gain.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Judging by the public reaction to this article, I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a lot more sales and subscribers than they gain.

Good point judging by the reaction of many, maybe it's backfired (if that was the intention) - it's certainly gaining attention though and what did someone once say about 'all publicity is good publicity'? ;)

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not Tiger's biggest fan, but appreciate what he has done...this 'interview' is just a pile of stinking rubbish. It isn't funny, i actually started cringing reading it, so stopped myself from reading it all. Just Golf Digest's way of trying to sell a few more copies

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Original article was not totally unfunny - I smiled at Tiger's supposed reply about the Kardashians! :thup:

Can't see he actually needed to respond, but, from the number of words involved, I'd bet it wasn't actually written by him! :whistle:

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe Tiger should do a "funny" fake interview with Dan Jenkins exposing some stuff about him that may or may not be true and see how he responds.

Retread61

Assistant Pro
www.nutriment.co
Like someone else said earlier in this thread, I was embarrassed for him. This is a shocking bit of mean score settling.

I dont think Tiger should have responded though. He should have risen above it.

G

guest100718

LOL lots of serious OTT replies! Some of it is midly amusing, its just someone taking the P, it happens to people in public life all the time and comes with the territory.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really sure what all the fuss is about.. Granted, it's not particularly funny, but it's also not particularly nasty.. people need to get a grip if they think that this is the worst that a journalist could do...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not really sure what all the fuss is about.. Granted, it's not particularly funny, but it's also not particularly nasty.. people need to get a grip if they think that this is the worst that a journalist could do...

Only read it tonight after work and to be honest I agree with Bluewolf and was expecting something far more vitriolic and nasty. I'm sure this guy could have made it a lot worse but I just think it's an unfunny and lazy bit of writing

MJBett

Hacker
Visit site
It could have been a publicity stunt indeed. Nevertheless, I feel like it was a little bit out of bounds. Wasn't expecting an article like that to be published by Golf Digest.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think Tiger deserves this kind of treatment. If Jenkins thought he was a good satirical writer he's deluded; poorly written and in very poor taste.

I guess he didn't have the courage to write what he wanted so tried to hide behind humour which, in my view, failed in a cringe-making collection of drivel.

Why the editor chose to publish such poor writing must be down to hoping for the publicity; that bit might have succeeded in the short term but in the longer terms I suspect it might be a bad commercial move.

Like everyone in the public arena Tiger can expect his fair share of critics and mickey takers but his skills as a golfer speak for him - in my view Jenkins' journalistic skills suggest he might need to go back to Q-School !