garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't get my head around it.

[video=youtube;cCRsU7OAJqg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRsU7OAJqg[/video]

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't answer your question but it's an impressive result. It would be nice to see her swing before that lesson.

It's either genius or gobbledegook.

Thanks though, like my head needed any more stuff in it!! :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As someone whip wraps the club around my back then sometimes manages to drop the club even deeper this is a mind melt.

It looks like he is teaching her an OTT move. Something which she probably did 10 years ago.

Or else this is how they all swing on the LPGA. looks amazing but I cannot for the life of me replicate it.

I can't even do the proper take away :(

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally dont think you can have an effect on what the club is doing at impact by using your hands. We're just Not strong enough to stop/divert such momentum

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I thought the first half of the lesson was pretty good and she seemed to swing quite nicely... that 2nd part will ruin just about 100% of swings :thup:

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry I meant the clubhead out on the downswing. He always wants me working the club around my body not towards the target

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks credible...

Mike’s career has spanned more than 38 years of instruction and playing experience working alongside Jim Flick with the Nicklaus/Flick Golf Schools from 1991 through 2002 and served as director of instruction for the Jack Nicklaus Golf Center in Japan (1992-1995). He has served as a consultant to TaylorMade-Adidas Golf Worldwide since 2002. His students have included multiple PGA and LPGA Tour players, as well as celebrities and prominent political figures throughout the world. Malaska is currently the Worldwide Instruction Director of Jack Nicklaus Golf Academies and the PGA Director of Instruction for Superstition Mountain Golf and Country Club in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Mike was named the national PGA Teacher of the Year in 2011. He has shared his expertise as a guest lecturer at the PGA Teaching and Coaching Summit, multiple national corporate functions and as a guest instructor for Golf Channel. Malaska’s instruction expertise has been featured in numerous publications including Golf Magazine, Golf Digest and PGA Magazine. In 2004, Malaska produced his own instructional DVD, “You Are Your Own Swing,” featuring 2.5 hours of both golf and fitness instruction. In 2013, Malaska authored and released his first instruction book, “I Feel Your Pain,” to rave reviews. A graduate of Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, he was a college “All American” in 1974 and was inducted into the University’s “Athletic Hall of Fame” in February 1999. Malaska competed in a number of PGA and Champions Tour events, including the 1988, 2009, and 2010 PGA Championships, and the 1982 and 1986 U.S. Opens. Recognized as the Utah Section PGA Teacher of the Year (1996), the Southwest Section PGA Teacher of the Year (2010) and the national PGA Teacher of the Year (2011).

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think the confusion comes from the fact that it looks like the clubhead is coming outside the hands and he's 'turning the steering wheel to the left' but if you pay attention to 6min 17secs he says "there's your backswing' and the 'steering wheel' is turned to the right.

From that position a turn to the left would just put it back to where it started (back to 'neutral' again).... not to the left.

I don't like the way he shows it at all as his representation of what is happening is very misleading, as proved by the OP.

6min 42secs - 6min 44secs

YKopqh5.gif

not confusing at all :D

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In physical terms the swing is a set of positions

But in mental terms the swing is based around a set of things that we FEEL we are doing.

The two are like chalk and cheese to some. He's trying to explain as a FEEL something that actually happens physically - he didn't need to add that part as she had it any way. When you start the downswing you will 'turn the wheel' naturally (back to the neutral position) as you turned it to the right already on your backswing without even noticing (if that makes sense). If you (or her) actually physically DID what he's showing her in your swings you'd be screwed :D

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The difference in those 2 pictures is where she is looking. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if she thinks the has the club in the same position both times.

I can't remember if it was this video or another I looked at where he said everybody is trying to get to the classic halfway down picture of club parallel to target and hands in front.
Some people think they have hit it when in fact the club is way behind them. Make them feel like the club is way outside and hey presto they hit the right position.

I agree it's confusing, but what we're seeing and what she's feeling is happening are two different things IMO.

As for the steering wheel analogy, I think I know where he is coming from, ie right turn for the backswing, back to neutral at impact and left turn for follow through, but why not just neutral all the way through? What am I missing?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In physical terms the swing is a set of positions

But in mental terms the swing is based around a set of things that we FEEL we are doing.

The two are like chalk and cheese to some. He's trying to explain as a FEEL something that actually happens physically - he didn't need to add that part as she had it any way. When you start the downswing you will 'turn the wheel' naturally (back to the neutral position) as you turned it to the right already on your backswing without even noticing (if that makes sense). If you (or her) actually physically DID what he's showing her in your swings you'd be screwed :D

I tired it while hitting some foam balls at home. felt (there is that word again) like I was swinging left. Without seeing proper flight most likely slicing them.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think I know where he is coming from, ie right turn for the backswing, back to neutral at impact and left turn for follow through, but why not just neutral all the way through? What am I missing?

You nailed it.

You can't go neutral all the way thru because as you make your backswing the right arm bends and the left arm raises, this (unknowingly) creates the 'right turn' position, so you have to come back to neutral on the way down to square the face...... that said - you have to add in the fact that the body is turning (opening) and that body rotation ISN'T supposed to stall or stop.... so there really isn't any need for the club to turn more left than the neutral position during the swing as it shouldn't ever really catch up with your turn (unless you stall and flip)

Interesting beginning to that vid you posted above..

"Your hands are 8-10inches higher....."

Yeh right, the Bulls##t begins!!

rXu8vyS.gif

I'd say his hands are ONE inch higher and 3 inches away from him..... lots of golfers do this, Ernie Els is one example I can think of.

Dare I watch the remaining 11 minutes of the vid....... :confused: :D

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Rather than trying to figure out WHAT to do at the beginning it's sometimes easier to figure out WHY you are trying to do it or WHERE you have to get to.

It looks like he's trying to teach the guy to 'turn the corner' which (in basic language) means to turn the handle of the club to the left of your thigh as you go thru impact and it's far easier to do when you think about the handle end of the club rather than the awkward end (the bit you are not holding)

On the left is how the guy WAS swinging... the butt of the club points at the target (or to the right of it) in his downswing (for too long) so he has to stall/flip/early extend/raise his hands to get the clubhead into the ball

On the right is where the handle SHOULD GO, it's almost as if on your downswing you are putting the handle around the side of your left pocket...... it doesn't really get there because you should be turning your left pocket out of the way as you turn your hips.
zg731rH.gif

It's a lot easier to do if you make a swing thinking of where you want the handle to end up rather than how to get there.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The right way to control the handle... The Punisher Drill

[video=youtube;7RR8xMitTV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RR8xMitTV8[/video]

If you don't turn the corner (and your body) you'll have sore ribs in the morning.