Is the current Monarchy too costly for the UK

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I remember a certain secretary of state for Wales doing a bit of pretending with the words to the National Anthem. Gave us all a good laugh though.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
In the news this morning I read it was necessary to hand out the printed words to the National Anthem at an event this week.

Some pretending going on, or did they actually not know it?

Depends on whether they just did the first verse , not that many know the other verses, but most should know the main one

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
How do you know that wasn't " the balance", one anti monarchist to dozens of monarchists interviewed seems about the right numbers to me.

Also I haven't dipped a toe on the " propoganda road" - I dont see "it" because I believe a monarchy is infinitely better than the alternative, that's my view and has always been. Possibly you're so anti, you cant see the wood for the trees
Rabbit hole. Again.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You know BB is the sort of chap that believes he is immune to marketing and advertising.
Really? Go on then, where was the equality of republican ideas being aired the last fortnight? The rocket thinks it was there in equal measure, absolutely detached from reality

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Really? Go on then, where was the equality of republican ideas being aired the last fortnight? The rocket thinks it was there in equal measure, absolutely detached from reality

I couldn’t tell you where to your republican ideas were broadcast because I didn’t watch any of it.

I also couldn’t care less if we had a monarchy or not. Of all the things in the world to worry about, it’s inconsequential to me.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can you honestly, hand on heart, say that the time for the media to discuss the future of the monarchy is when they are preparing to bury the Queen?
That might be a good reason why there maybe wasn't as much Republican coverage as you seem to have wanted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you honestly, hand on heart, say that the time for the media to discuss the future of the monarchy is when they are preparing to bury the Queen?
That might be a good reason why there maybe wasn't as much Republican coverage as you seem to have wanted.
I think they did that last Monday…or was I dreaming of eagles and swans; longbows and halberds.

Ah…you are talking of before…?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Just because it doesn't fit your agenda
Because polls show that those who want rid of the monarchy and those who want to keep them are roughly the same, with a whole swathe of undecideds, so one v dozens is not in any way representative, as i'm sure you know. You're clearly just trolling now so no thanks, and goodbye

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Yes I can. They had hours and hours and days and weeks to fill, with a handover occuring, what better time was there? It was the perfect opportunity to say, is time up? Ah but of course, we were in full Mournhub mode for a fortnight. Strange though, you seem to be completely contradicting ChrisD.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yes I can. They had hours and hours and days and weeks to fill, with a handover occuring, what better time was there? It was the perfect opportunity to say, is time up? Ah but of course, we were in full Mournhub mode for a fortnight. Strange though, you seem to be completely contradicting ChrisD.

Sorry, BB I'm a republican, but you are wrong about this. It was not the time for discussion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because polls show that those who want rid of the monarchy and those who want to keep them are roughly the same, with a whole swathe of undecideds, so one v dozens is not in any way representative, as i'm sure you know. You're clearly just trolling now so no thanks, and goodbye

Are you sure about that ?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...onarchy-sees-minor-improvement-public-opinion

Do Britons want to keep the monarchy?
Two thirds of Britons (67%) say they think the UK should continue to have a monarchy, up five points since the Platinum Jubilee in May. Only 20% say we should have an elected head of state instead.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
woooo, amazing. One eh. And where was the BBC's usual "balance" for the last fortnight, we got one side on TV constantly. As I said, you're so far down the propoganda road you can't even see it, ebcause it aligns with your views.

You just don't want to understand it. It was the Queen's funeral, did you really expect the media to be debating the need for a Monarchy. Really! And as I've previously explained that the irony of your post is hilarious when you accuse someone else of having a fixated view when your own is so blinkered.

Yes we're absolutely flooded with republican thoughts, especially the last two weeks. Jesus talk about detached from reality
Again the irony, oh! The irony.
Are you suggesting 'Reality' can only be what you choose it to be. You don't seem able to discuss a subject without making out all contrary views are delusional.