Is my shaft to stiff for me?

Craigeee

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

So I have a r11s with a stiff shaft in it. I have always had stiff shafts in my drivers. But for for some reason I am really struggling to give this big dog air time! The ball flight tends to be very low with a huge dip at the end!

My question is to you guys if you have not guest yet!!!

Is the shaft in this driver to stiff for me?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
can't you pick up a reg shaft off ebay with adapter fitted and give it a try?

or ask in pro shop and see if they have a reg shaft you can try, worth a punt

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sounds like a technique issue to me - though R11 can be a bit flakey for some.

What loft is it?

What are the settings?

What shaft is it?

Is shot shape straight? Or slightly left? Or Right with the dip back toward centre?

Craigeee

Medal Winner
Visit site
All settings are at neutral. It's a 10.5 degree with a rip phenom stiff shaft. Though I have been using the prolaunch in the club.

The shot shape is straight just very low with no length at all. I use to have a r9 and I would hit it 260 easy. I have tried changing the club to a higher setting also but with no joy.

I have tried dipping my right shoulder to try to gain height. Put the club at address as far forward as possible.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have you tried getting someone else to hit it?

The straight with dip (as opposed to straight with dip and a touch left) eliminates the 'off the toe' - which you would likely have felt anyway.

If the same thing happens when someone else hits it, then there's possibly a fault with the head - that is not visible yet. Does it sound 'normal'?

The other presumption is that it's a genuine TM club!

Craigeee

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm play off of 15 my friend! I took the club to American golf and they rang tm for me and I got the thumps up on it being real. As for the sound I really would not like say as I do not know anyone else with the club. The geeza from ag did say it sounded very dull.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another player test could be the best option then.

If same happens, then it would seem a return to TM might be in order.

I have heard a rumour that TM had some issues with the R11, which was one of the reasons the R11S came out even quicker than normal. That's pure hearsay however, so plenty of salt involved.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm play off of 15 my friend! I took the club to American golf and they rang tm for me and I got the thumps up on it being real. As for the sound I really would not like say as I do not know anyone else with the club. The geeza from ag did say it sounded very dull.

just swap out the shaft for a standard regular to rule out the shaft first - although from everything else you have posted here I can't see that the RIP S would have such a dramatic effect. The other obvious alternative is to put the club in the hands of someone who can definitely hit that shaft (but as said I don't think it's going to be that alone)

I don't have the R11 but if it has the changeable weights as well as the other adjustments I would check that they are at standard - this is a case of me considering what could cause your symptoms without knowing whether it's even a factor on the clubhead!

Then you have any issues with the adapter/hosel and things like the rubber washers...

Edit - R11 has MWT; this would be my starting point.......

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the r11 driver but with a stiff RBZ stock shaft and it works a treat. My current swing speed is 105mph-107mph, try and get your swing speed measured as far as I know anything less than 100 mph should be a regular shaft.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm sure there is a reg flex available on here for penny's to have a go with.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
as far as I know anything less than 100 mph should be a regular shaft.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Depends a bit on the individual, but I think it' a bit lower than that. I'm low 90s and Stiff generally feels fine for me. Regular seems whippy.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

not quite sure how they can actually verify it with a simple phone call?
There obviously is a genuine serial number on it but these can be copied?
If the guy in the shop thinks it sounded dull too then TM direct seems a logical move to me.