Is My Shaft Right For Me?

thermo

Visit site
On A Callaway Demo day, I was advised I needed a stiffer shaft with some flex in the tip to offset my natural slice.

This worked a treat at the demo.

Although I was told to order a x-hot 10.5 (set to closed) with a grafalloy blue 65 reg (speed coat)... the pro shop ordered me a "prolaunch blue G speed coat 65R, as apparently grafalloys were not available.

Sadly, this has not cured my slice .... I would like to know is the substitute shaft the same or is there a suitable alternative out there.

and I know, I know .... get some more lessons.

Please help.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Soz Thermo but,

There is a perfectly good reason why you slice the ball, maybe even a few reasons... The shaft ain't one of them.

Try and fix the problem rather than mask it.

thermo

Visit site
Soz Thermo but,

There is a perfectly good reason why you slice the ball, maybe even a few reasons... The shaft ain't one of them.

Try and fix the problem rather than mask it.

Thanks for response though I thought it a tad harsh to a new comer! .... Wondering why the make adjustable drivers then.

I simply am trying to find out if the shaft provided is relatively stiff with a flexible tip as prescribed by the Callaway pro.

Cheers

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems like the shaft ordered/received was the one specified.

Prolaunch is a Grafalloy shaft, quite high launch/spin and tip-soft, so good for slower swing speeds. There is also another Grafalloy Blue, but that is most certainly not flexible in the tip (and is mainly white these days!). Grafalloy Blue is the one Alvaro Quiros and Nico Colseart use and is very low launch and spin.

Neither will actually correct a slice, as that is a swing fault. Adjustment might help/mask it somewhat, but to correct a slice, you need to be hitting more from the inside to out (and with the face square or slightly closed). Try aiming at the inside quadrant of the ball - not a sure-fire cure, but can work.

There is no magic fix for a slice except hard work on the swing!

Oh and Welcome!

Last edited:

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My apology, the reply was a little harsh.
Welcome to the forum, by the way

Shaft and clubhead optomisation is mainly for fine tuning purposes. I personally find it a little gimmicky and for the most part a sales tactic. But each to there own on that one.

Getting fitted for a shaft does have advantages, there are plenty on here who can testify to that, I`m in the camp that got to single figures with stock stuff of the shelf.

Getting back to your slice, forget about shafts, could be a swing plane issue amongst others, plenty vids going about to help.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you got the correct shaft, but clearly this has not been a cure for the slice, but that was probably a big ask.

These threads tend to fall into a 'its not the equipment, its the player' pretty quickly. To a certain extent that is true, but I think the player will find it easier to improve through lessons and practice with the right equipment and it makes a moderate problem bigger when they have the wrong equipment.

Give it a bit of time and work on the shot on the range/course and if improvement doesn't come soon, book a lesson.

thermo

Visit site
Thanks all for your time / responses.

Still slightly confused because the pro said I was between a regular and stiff shaft ...(my swing is pretty quick) talked about the stiffer shaft, with more flex at the tip, then recommended grafalloy blue Reg. :confused:

Hay hoe .... I have however taken on all your comments (inc Bluetoon ;)) about getting my swing sorted ... and will get a lesson or two .... My irons are going pretty straight (at the moment).

Cheers