Is a stone and wood seating area an immovable obstruction?

IanMcC

Visit site
We have a stone and wood memorial seating area to the left of our 15th green. Today my playing partner went under the seat with a pulled tee shot. We were unsure if he was entitled to free relief or not, as nothing in the structure was 'artificial', but the immovable obstruction was definitely 'man made'. Any help?

wjemather

Visit site
We have a stone and wood memorial seating area to the left of our 15th green. Today my playing partner went under the seat with a pulled tee shot. We were unsure if he was entitled to free relief or not, as nothing in the structure was 'artificial', but the immovable obstruction was definitely 'man made'. Any help?
Sounds like a free relief situation to me, but also like the club/committee may want to clarify things by explicitly defining it as an immovable obstruction/no play zone in the Local Rules.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Examples of obstructions:
  • Waste containers, signposts and benches.

Swango1980

Visit site
Surely the definition of "artificial" is anything "man made"?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

I don't think the materials used for construction matter. You are describing natural materials but it's still a man-made structure, and it can't be moved. That makes it an immovable obstruction so relief can be obtained.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the definitions

Obstruction
Any artificial object except for integral objects and boundary objects.

not from these definitions but the old ones

artificial includes objects manufactured from natural materials (or words to that effect)

E.G a wooden tee peg lying on the ground, which is not one you have dropped, is an obstruction.

Movable Obstruction
An obstruction that can be moved with reasonable effort and without damaging the obstruction or the course.