Is a pull always caused by swing path?

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My pro always told me a pull was caused by an out to in swing path (but with a square face at impact so no fade/slice).

But last night at the range everything was going left to varying degrees, despite the fact i made a concsious effort to swing in-out.

Is it possibly being caused by something else or am i swinging out to in without realising it? :mmm:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds like you are confused.

if by pull you mean the ball is starting left of you target line, and going straight in the air, then -
1. you club face is alligned left of target
2. your swing path is alligned left of target but square to your club allignment

put another way - the ball starts along the line of the clubface (at impact) and will turn left in the air (draw) if it's path is in to out relative to that or right (fade) if out to in.

so you need to allign your swing path to target rather than change it relative to the club face....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My pro always told me a pull was caused by an out to in swing path (but with a square face at impact

Do you mean square to your swingpath or your target?

In general, people who have a tendancy to swing out to in then try and swing in to out very seldom actually achieve what they think they are doing.
Real and feel are often miles apart

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
First things first

Provided you are lined up correctly (feet/hips/shoulders all aligned with each other) if you START the ball left of target then the face is pointing a little left at impact, so it's a fraction closed.

With a closed clubface it really doesn't matter what the swingpath is as it's already going left unless you REALLY swing out-to-in in which case it MAY fade back towards target but if you are a little from the inside, straight or a little from the outside that ball is going left. I'd take a guess that your swingpath may be pretty straight so you need to look at why the clubface might be a little closed... that might be grip, or simply that you don't turn your lower body quite sufficiently and the arms/hands subsequently roll over or 'flip'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Pick your poison.......... [click to enlarge]

pull.jpg

1: substantially out-to-in with quite a closed face
2: little from the inside with little closed face
3: pretty straight with a little closed face
4: slightly out-to-in with a little closed face

[think that's about right..... before anyone wants to start a fight!] :mad:

Not much in 2,3 and 4 it's No1 that you need to concern yourself with if that's what your pro has identified.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pick your poison.......... [click to enlarge]

View attachment 1961

2: little from the inside with little closed face
3: pretty straight with a little closed face
4: slightly out-to-in with a little closed face

[think that's about right..... before anyone wants to start a fight!] :mad:

Not much in 2,3 and 4 it's No1 that you need to concern yourself with if that's what your pro has identified.

your no.1, by your own words, would represent 'slightly out to in with quite a closed face'

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The swingpath would need to be out-to-in enough to match the face (so that it goes straight left), if the ball starts a lot left then the face must be quite closed so the swingpath would be substantially out-to-in. I think I said...

If the swingpath is a LITTLE out-to-in the ball would start left and draw a little, if it was a LOT out-to-in the ball would fade a little.

If Neddy's USUAL shot is a fade then chances are he's out-to-in and hits pulls when he gets the face a little too closed. He didn't say what his normal shot shape was but he did kind of mention 'no fade' which maybe he was expecting?

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was just going by your words in post 4.

In 3 posts we have -

substantially, really, quite, slightly, a little, a lot, pretty, too and a fraction as descriptors of scale - all in posts aiming to provide clarity........

and no I'm not trying to start a fight :)

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The swingpath would need to be out-to-in enough to match the face (so that it goes straight left), if the ball starts a lot left then the face must be quite closed so the swingpath would be substantially out-to-in. I think I said...

If the swingpath is a LITTLE out-to-in the ball would start left and draw a little, if it was a LOT out-to-in the ball would fade a little.

If Neddy's USUAL shot is a fade then chances are he's out-to-in and hits pulls when he gets the face a little too closed. He didn't say what his normal shot shape was but he did kind of mention 'no fade' which maybe he was expecting?

My standard shot used to a fade/slice but after my lessons i have straightened it out and even got the ocassional little draw.

I used to hit pull slices, shots that started left and came back right, regularly, and ended up roughly where i wanted to be but usually short!

But last night was the first time I have ever hit 50 odd balls and have 30-35 of them end up going straight left.

Only one range session so not a disaster. Playing tomorrow so I will see how i go.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As I said above.... you need to look at why the clubface might be a little closed... that might be grip, or simply that you don't turn your lower body quite sufficiently and the arms/hands subsequently roll over or 'flip'.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it would be fair to say that once a player gets the "feel" for the flight of the ball (in terms of direction) it becomes really clear what the path is, even if you can't see it on video or through the mystic art of divot reading.

My approach is to work out which ball is dead straight. For me, it's about 5-10 yards right for every 100 yards.

If for you it's straight left, then you've haven't yet got the swing coming from the inside.