Is a £169 Package Set Worth it?

Sekiro

Visit site
My Dad likes to get out for a round with me on the last Sunday of every month, he hasn’t been playing for that long so just uses my clubs, his birthday is just around the corner and I was tempted to grab him one of the Sports Direct package sets... now I know most people are against package sets as they are mediocre quality at best, but for someone who only plays once a month would they be good enough?

Sports Direct - Slazenger V300 Set - Driver // 3 Wood // 4 Hybrid // 5-SW // Putter // Stand Bag

The idea is that he would then have something on hand if he decided to have a round himself or so he could hit the driving range // practice area whenever he liked, if he sticks with it then he can build up his own bag over time swapping out the clubs as/when he wants to.

I did consider used but wouldn’t want to gift someone used items for a birthday present and that combined with how crazy used prices are right now I’d struggle to get a set for around £200.

What do people think, is it worth it or should I opt for a slightly more expensive option?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Whenever I see reviews by Crossfield, Finch, Shiels etc. they are generally positive. They says that the clubs get you round, the differences to more expensive clubs are noticeable but not massive. If it's not your main hobby then it's better to have a box set than nothing at all - and certainly easier (and probably cheaper) than trying to build a secondhand set from various sellers.
If/when he starts playing more often, he can upgrade piecemeal to some secondhand clubs from one of the major manufacturers.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
It will be nice for him to have his own clubs. If he has been using your clubs and they are of decent quality. I would imagine his set would feel like inferior quality. He will blame the bad shots on the cheap clubs and want to continue to hit yours.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
For what you want to use it for, I'd say go for it. In relative terms you really can't lose much money on them, he'll have everything he needs and he can get used to them to enjoy his game.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Yea. As above. I'd go for it. If he gets enough use out of it to want to upgrade - Awesome. If he uses it enough "only" to justify having - great.

Do it.

Sekiro

Visit site
Whenever I see reviews by Crossfield, Finch, Shiels etc. they are generally positive. They says that the clubs get you round, the differences to more expensive clubs are noticeable but not massive. If it's not your main hobby then it's better to have a box set than nothing at all - and certainly easier (and probably cheaper) than trying to build a secondhand set from various sellers.
If/when he starts playing more often, he can upgrade piecemeal to some secondhand clubs from one of the major manufacturers.

That’s what I thought, the YouTubers still go around and play good consistent golf with a package set so is there as much of a difference or has the brand marketing made its way into all of our heads and we’ve become brand snobs... obviously there are technologies at work in the bigger brands that don’t exist in the budget clubs but will someone who only plays once a month really be able to tell (I’m still at a place where a golf balls a golf ball and what I use makes no difference).

It will be nice for him to have his own clubs. If he has been using your clubs and they are of decent quality. I would imagine his set would feel like inferior quality. He will blame the bad shots on the cheap clubs and want to continue to hit yours.

This is my main worry, my clubs are only a few years old (although bought used) and from brands like Taylormade, Cobra, Callaway and Cleveland, for the current years models it would probably set me back £1600 or so to build a comparable bag, which unfortunately I’m not in a position to do.

For what you want to use it for, I'd say go for it. In relative terms you really can't lose much money on them, he'll have everything he needs and he can get used to them to enjoy his game.
Yea. As above. I'd go for it. If he gets enough use out of it to want to upgrade - Awesome. If he uses it enough "only" to justify having - great.

Do it.

Yeah, in reality if he gets 12-18 months out of them and if he’s still playing next years present might be a premium putter or single club upgrade for him, I guess I can’t really go wrong, he’s at an age now where there’s no filter so if he isn’t happy with them i’m sure I’ll know about it lol!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me sounds a good idea, maybe even a half set from a better brand?

For a bit of a negative, I've used a few of the v300 clubs (have one hybrid left as a throw away club so to speak) they felt to me like they marked up really fast and the initial "quality" dropped. The one i have left in the bag looks like i used it to hit rocks...

Sam_R

Visit site
Back in the day I started with a set of Donnay clubs from Sports Soccer (I think it was in those days) for about £100 and they did me well for a few years. I liked that they were brand new and all matching. After a few years of light use one or two of the heads eventually ended up 50 yards or so down the driving range but that is to be expected for the price! By that time I was ready to buy some 'proper' clubs so they did their job. They went really well when I hit them too. I only just upgraded the putter this year (about 20 years later!)

Diamond

Visit site
My Dad likes to get out for a round with me on the last Sunday of every month, he hasn’t been playing for that long so just uses my clubs, his birthday is just around the corner and I was tempted to grab him one of the Sports Direct package sets... now I know most people are against package sets as they are mediocre quality at best, but for someone who only plays once a month would they be good enough?

Sports Direct - Slazenger V300 Set - Driver // 3 Wood // 4 Hybrid // 5-SW // Putter // Stand Bag

The idea is that he would then have something on hand if he decided to have a round himself or so he could hit the driving range // practice area whenever he liked, if he sticks with it then he can build up his own bag over time swapping out the clubs as/when he wants to.

I did consider used but wouldn’t want to gift someone used items for a birthday present and that combined with how crazy used prices are right now I’d struggle to get a set for around £200.

What do people think, is it worth it or should I opt for a slightly more expensive option?

Having played golf for 12 months I have realised that it is all about your score. If you can shoot pars and birdies with a £169 Clubs why change?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't see a problem with getting a starter set given the context laid out. Hopefully as Covid's situation improves (please let it be soon) a lot of the second hand sites will start to get more and more stock back in and so if you want to upgrade his set, there will be plenty of bargains around. Always worth keeping an eye out on e-bay et