Irons Shaft and Club Head Combinations

troebuck1

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am currently a 6 handicapper and play with Titleist AP2 Irons with S300 shafts in them, however I find they launch way too high and with way too much spin. I have been recommended to look at an old set of Adams CMB with KBS Tour C Taper S 120 shafts to help with this.

Just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas on decent iron sets and shafts?

Ta

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am currently a 6 handicapper and play with Titleist AP2 Irons with S300 shafts in them, however I find they launch way too high and with way too much spin. I have been recommended to look at an old set of Adams CMB with KBS Tour C Taper S 120 shafts to help with this.

Just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas on decent iron sets and shafts?

Ta

Welcome along. Simple answer would be try as many makes and models as you can with an open mind somewhere with a number of shaft options and a launch monitor. Where are you based? What makes you think the Adams are "the ones"

troebuck1

Visit site
Welcome along. Simple answer would be try as many makes and models as you can with an open mind somewhere with a number of shaft options and a launch monitor. Where are you based? What makes you think the Adams are "the ones"

Hey man,

I see what you mean, it's just finding ideal clubs and shafts at a decent price! I work at a driving range and have tried so many things out, and then the owner put the Adams in my hands and it was just different. Produced an okay ball flight with low spin and distances increased. He had NS Pro shafts in them which launch a little lower but they just seemed to click

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi Guys,

Ta

When I was getting fitted for my irons I was testing with the KBS shaft and the launch angle was too low

The S300 though gave me a much higher launch angle

So from my experience the KBS seem to launch lower

troebuck1

Visit site
I'd advise hitting the C tapers before committing any money. They are a completely different feeling shaft when compared to S300.

Im looking for a much softer feel off the club face and hoping the c taper does this. Also height on my irons is not a problem, spin rates are my main concern and I have been know to reach 12000 with a 7 iron which is ridiculous and shouldn't be done!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im looking for a much softer feel off the club face and hoping the c taper does this. Also height on my irons is not a problem, spin rates are my main concern and I have been know to reach 12000 with a 7 iron which is ridiculous and shouldn't be done!
With those spin rates, are you sure it's not a swing issue rather than a shaft issue. What your launch angle like? Low ramping flight?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
S300s are normally reasonably low flight, so if they are noticeably high then I'd suggest there's a swing issue.

C-Tapers are Low Flight/Spin though so might help, but I doubt whether they can do much to reduce that 12000 rpm!

Certainly does seem to be a case of 'try as many as you can and select the one that matches the attributes you want'. You seem to be in a reasonable position to do so!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
good chance that this might not be just an equipment issue.
AP 2"s/S300's - these are a good set of irons among the best out there, there will be no magnified difference to the Adams CMB's.

what's your average peak height with your irons - iron 'ph #' should all be pretty much around the same number through the set.

what's your average swing speed with a 5 or 6i. what's your 'actual' average 7i distance?

as a 'norm' you would have with a good strike around 1000 rpm's times the iron denom # plus a little bit, so 7i would be between 7000 - 8000 as a guide.

nothing too much wrong with a high flight if the forwards travel is still there. as that means you can stop it on a dime so know the bag carry distances - lack of distance control is the bigger factor in scoring well with most handicap players as they will usually be a ways short of target more so than left or right of it.

would check what your shaft forward lean delivery is, before money changes hands.

could well be that the shaft is a little ways too much near vertical at strike so the loft you are presenting at impact is nearer (maybes even slightly bigger) than the static loft of the iron (712 AP2's 7i - 35º, 714's 7i - 34º)

so maybes instead of hands ahead, weight left, + body rotation, left hip clearance so forwards shaft lean is giving you a good 'dynamic loft' number through strike. the hands & clubhead are arriving at ball more at the same time, so with a reasonable swing speed, it can still seem like a sound strike but all that extra loft is giving you way too much rpm's.

if this is the case what the clubheads or shafts are like is going to make not too much of a difference. so would really check through just what really is happening before you part with your $'s, looking at swing on GC2 HMT would tell you what you need to know.

c-tapers very different feel through the swing & strike so folks considering them really do need to audition them well to that mean with the actual launch monitor 'numbers' not just by eye - most think they can tell flight by sight in reality very few can, would not advise just buying blind. (as you can see from 'sig' I use the S+ at 125grms, great shaft but you need a swing speed that's higher than the norm to get the best out of them plus good dynamic loft delivery at impact)

Last edited: