Irons going left

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've noticed recently that my irons and hybrid are on a right to left trajectory. They start out nice but then drift off to the left. Any ideas on what to look out for while I try and get a video up? I was at the range yesterday and my irons are normally ok but all were doing this yesterday, would of filmed it then but only had my 8 yr old with me and gave up after a couple attempts with missing heads and swings etc!!

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Evesdad,

I assume that you are right handed and that you are not comming 'over the top' on the downswing.

Firstly, do check your set up and ball position as I find that 101% of my faults lie there.

A quick fix (which might add to your problems in the long run!) prior to getting your swing uploaded for the experts would be to make sure that you have a bit more weight on your left foot at impact. This will help you not be behind the ball which would promote a bit of a hook.

As I suggested though, there could be a few reasons and therefore get your swing uploaded for Bob and those in the know to help you out.

Cheers

Matt

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I assume that you are right handed and that you are not comming 'over the top' on the downswing.

Firstly, do check your set up and ball position as I find that 101% of my faults lie there.

A quick fix (which might add to your problems in the long run!) prior to getting your swing uploaded for the experts would be to make sure that you have a bit more weight on your left foot at impact. This will help you not be behind the ball which would promote a bit of a hook.

No offence mate but that's total rubbish.

Evesdad, make sure you are turning your hips properly on the downswing. Check your grip hasn't moved a little too far round to the right of the handle.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not an expert though i would check everything alignment wise

feet
shoudlers
position of ball in stance
and grip

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If its starting straight, then turning right. Like said above a grip issue. Try moving your grip a tad to the right.

What the made me say right guess its cos I'm a lefty. Was thinking the wrong way round. Except my humble grovelling for my mistake. Cheers Bob thanks for that. Where I wrote right read left (Wheres the edit button gone)???

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my draw comes from 3 faults,

* swing plane to flat meaning im coming from the inside hitting out across the ball,
* strong left hand on the grip.

Ive been advised to try and make sure i can only see 2 knuckles on my top hand to weeken the grip, and also work on take away ensuring i keep the club straighter for longer

A good drill was to put three balls in a diagonal row and try to focus on the middle one, if you come in flat(or from the inside)you will hit then inside ball which in turn will take all 3 balls out, such an easy drill for a check point. by doing this drill it normally tells me if my draw is coming from a strong grip holding the clubface closed at impact, or from poor swing plane.

I should add ive turned the club face in these pics to show the directing of the swing path, but obviously your club face would be square at impact.

image 1 - what is believed to be square at impact with an on plane swing.

583e8c14.jpg

image 2 - coming from the inside or a flat swing plane - notice the heel of the club online to take out the inner ball.
*sorry for this pic, this was done quickly using a phone... oh and a putter because clubs are in the car ;) )

e76ba4fc.jpg

Image 3 - an out to in swing plane - this would give a left to right ball flight or fade.

98e989d8.jpg

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my draw comes from 3 faults,

* swing plane to flat meaning im coming from the inside hitting out across the ball,
* strong left hand on the grip.

Ive been advised to try and make sure i can only see 2 knuckles on my top hand to weeken the grip, and also work on take away ensuring i keep the club straighter for longer

A good drill was to put three balls in a diagonal row and try to focus on the middle one, if you come in flat(or from the inside)you will hit then inside ball which in turn will take all 3 balls out, such an easy drill for a check point. by doing this drill it normally tells me if my draw is coming from a strong grip holding the clubface closed at impact, or from poor swing plane.

I should add ive turned the club face in these pics to show the directing of the swing path, but obviously your club face would be square at impact.

image 1 - what is believed to be square at impact with an on plane swing.

583e8c14.jpg

image 2 - coming from the inside or a flat swing plane - notice the heel of the club online to take out the inner ball.
*sorry for this pic, this was done quickly using a phone... oh and a putter because clubs are in the car ;) )

e76ba4fc.jpg

Image 3 - an out to in swing plane - this would give a left to right ball flight or fade.

98e989d8.jpg

Get the bloody hoover out, that carpet is fithy:)

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, I think my grip has got a little stronger the last couple of weeks. Playing on Saturday so will see what happens, may get to the range on Sunday so will take camera and hopefully someone more competent than my eight year old! It's really bugged me as my irons have been great recently, think I may have been trying to hit too hard also.

Also think a very slight out to in path!

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Weirdly my out to in swing path was causing me to hit the ball straight left rather than a slice.

Andy,
The clubface is a little too closed at impact (it's aiming left), probably because you're subconsciously trying not to lose the ball to the right. You can open it a bit and get a fade, too much and you'll get a slice. To hit any other shape of shot you're going to have to work on your swingpath and try to straighten it a little.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Andy,
The clubface is a little too closed at impact (it's aiming left), probably because you're subconsciously trying not to lose the ball to the right. You can open it a bit and get a fade, too much and you'll get a slice. To hit any other shape of shot you're going to have to work on your swingpath and try to straighten it a little.

That's what I was thinking