Irons and technology

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
I recently read an article that said if you are using a set of irons that are more than 3 years old, you could be doing yourself a diservice. Reason being that technology has moved on so much that there could be a better suited set out there for you. This leaves me with a dilemma. I have been using the same set of Cleveland TA3's for about 7 years now, they were custom made and got me in to single figures. Although now they look a bit tired, they still perform very well. Should i change clubs and possibly gain more from technology or stick with what i have and practice my short game more. I think Lee Westwood is still using Ping Zing irons and these are an older club. Is it worth a change???

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would stick with what you have because as we all know, you can't buy a better game. If your current clubs are custom fitted and suit you well, that's the main thing. Spending hundreds of pounds on clubs that might technically be *fractionally* better than what you have is a waste of money imho. Just look at the pros who've switched clubs as part of a new sponsorship deal, only to see their game go to the dogs.

I wonder if the article that urged players to change irons every 3 years was produced in association with a club manufacturer/retailer..?!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like the sort of article that is written by people who sell irons. But if you are a single figure golfer, you could well benefit from a review of the condition of your current set. If they are graphite shafted, 7 years of constant use may well cause the shafts to loose their original stiffness/flex. Steel shafts don't suffer so much. You could go through the custom fit procedure again and see if you current set meets the specification. They may simply need new shafts.

You might also consider the difference that 7 years has made to your physical condition, depending upon your age.