Iron upgrade advice

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know it’s time to upgrade from my old Ping G15’s to a new set with with a flexible cup face to increase distance in my senior years
I’ve been looking at Mizuno, callaway and Taylormade offerings. If anyone is playing any of these advice would be appreciated
I’m leaning towards Mizuno hot metal. Any thoughts. Thanks

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I know it’s time to upgrade from my old Ping G15’s to a new set with with a flexible cup face to increase distance in my senior years
I’ve been looking at Mizuno, callaway and Taylormade offerings. If anyone is playing any of these advice would be appreciated

Someone at our club did this (Callaway I think) and went back because of the boomers they got; every so often they'd get an extra 20 yards beyond the normal with the flexible face.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I went from a setof blades to gi clubs at the end of last year. Mizuno hot metal pro and they are a revelation, yes the lofts are strong but I'm 20 yeads plus increase in distance. I'm in my late 50' s and been off 5 for a few years, down to 2/3 this year. The biggest difference is the confidence I have now with the 7 iron in my hand rather than a Sunday best 5 iron.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Like you I needed an upgrade from G15s which were great but I needed something to give me a bit extra. I am 50 years old with back issues and can't do a full swing.
I have bought Wilson Staff D9s, what a difference they have made, easy to hit and they have great distance as well as getting loft.
Highly highly recommended by me.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I went from a setof blades to gi clubs at the end of last year. Mizuno hot metal pro and they are a revelation, yes the lofts are strong but I'm 20 yeads plus increase in distance. I'm in my late 50' s and been off 5 for a few years, down to 2/3 this year. The biggest difference is the confidence I have now with the 7 iron in my hand rather than a Sunday best 5 iron.

Just goes to show how much of this game is in our heads, as your 7 iron has the loft of a 5 1/2 iron. :)

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes, but with the 7 iron I don't even have to hit it that well, with the blades I'd have to hit a good shot out the middle... that makes a big difference
Cheaper as well, only need 4 irons in a set ?