Iron Testing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, I've worked through 4 new irons on my bucket list, and surprisingly so far I've been disappointed.

1. Firstly was Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal. I had high hopes for this, but was disappointed with the feel and the distance was no better. In addition it felt heavy with stock shaft at 105g.

2. Second up was Cobra King, couldn't get away with these at all. No feedback.

3. Thirdly was Ping G410 this had a horrible popping sound which I felt off putting.

4. Forth was Ping I500 which again I didn't take to.

I am much happier with my Cleveland CG16 fitted with stiff 85g shafts, the feel, feedback and flight is great. However I've had these about 7 years.

I'm yet to try the following on the list:-
Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

I won't be buying unless there is an improvement on the irons that I have.

Input appreciated

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, I've worked through 4 new irons on my bucket list, and surprisingly so far I've been disappointed.

Input appreciated

If you like the feel, feedback and flight from you current shafts I am surprised that you are surprised with your findings so far, and happy to be that you will continue in that vein with the other clubs as well.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
When I went for a fitting in June I had set my heart on the MP18’s but after trying those, the iblades, apex’s and the black cobra blades I settled on Srixon z585’s.
They’re forged blades so you still get decent feedback

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got socks older than your irons, 7 years is no time at all.
If you were having problems with your current irons I'd understand the need to change.
But you're not, you're happy with them so why change?
If you want to change so you can hit your 7 iron further, just hit a 6.
I know plenty of people who would love to be where you are.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I went for a fitting in June I had set my heart on the MP18’s but after trying those, the iblades, apex’s and the black cobra blades I settled on Srixon z585’s.
They’re forged blades so you still get decent feedback
sorry dear boy, but in no shape or form are 585 blades;)

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got socks older than your irons, 7 years is no time at all.
If you were having problems with your current irons I'd understand the need to change.
But you're not, you're happy with them so why change?
If you want to change so you can hit your 7 iron further, just hit a 6.
I know plenty of people who would love to be where you are.

Your socks must have been darned once or twice ?

New iron might tighten up dispersion

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd not change your irons for the sake of it, especially if theres nothing you prefer. The technology in irons hasn't really moved on unless your going for the super GI irons. I've hit all of titleist new offerings and compared them to my older cb's and if I'm being completely honest with myself, they feel exactly the same which is why I probably wont change them for the next year at least. Might get the models currently out for a heavy discount by then

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your socks must have been darned once or twice ?

New iron might tighten up dispersion
That might just be a shaft change .. which is pretty inexpensive if steel and a large wedge if graphite.
Worth investigating but technique can pull dispersion back. I only found a total of 5 yards difference between my best and worse shafts for dispersion .. so if your already 5+ yards right and 5+yards left giving a total of 10 yards answer is have a quick technique check.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Irons are just irons. I guess the springy faced ones might go a bit further.
Changing equipment as often as we do is a very modern construct, aggressively marketed by the OEMs. Back in the day, people just played golf.

Neeko1988

Visit site
There are some very different irons on that list, Cast, Forged, Hollow head, strong lofts etc they will all produce different results. I have the p790 and for me they gave me the feel of a players iron but with a little more forgiveness. They are very strong lofted though and you do often get flyiers but i can live with that.

Funny you mention disperstion though as i had a very comprehensive fitting when i changed irons. I tried alot of different sets and the p790's with a heavier 120 shaft gave me a much tighter grouping.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site

1. Firstly was Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal. I had high hopes for this, but was disappointed with the feel and the distance was no better. In addition it felt heavy with stock shaft at 105g.

3. Thirdly was Ping G410 this had a horrible popping sound which I felt off putting.

I am much happier with my Cleveland CG16 fitted with stiff 85g shafts, the feel, feedback and flight is great. However I've had these about 7 years.

Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

Input appreciated

I would recommend ping i210. Great feel and control and enough feedback from off centre hits. There's plenty of forgiveness in there too if you're a semi decent ball striker.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

Input appreciated

How are you testing these irons. Are they on a launch monitor and if so irrespective of sound which I have always found a personal thing and what some think as "tingy or popping" doesn't sound that way to another, how are they performing in terms of distance and dispersion compared to your current model

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

Input appreciated

The difference between an 85g shaft and 105g is night and day. I am not a fan of the Hot metal range, the forged are plenty forgiving and offer far more in terms of forgiveness/dispersion tightness. Try them with a KBS stiff 90 and you’ll see a massive difference imo. Having said that, there’s no telling if a different head/shaft combination would work even better, and for that I would advise a proper fitting with launch monitor and a full range of options. Any way you cut it, it’s great fun looking for a new set of irons so enjoy the process, once you find “the ones” you won’t need to do this for a very long time (unless you make significant swing changes).

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How are you testing these irons. Are they on a launch monitor and if so irrespective of sound which I have always found a personal thing and what some think as "tingy or popping" doesn't sound that way to another, how are they performing in terms of distance and dispersion compared to your current model

No launch monitor at this stage just range balls so I could see flight at range. Once narrowed down I'll go for a proper fitting

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The difference between an 85g shaft and 105g is night and day. I am not a fan of the Hot metal range, the forged are plenty forgiving and offer far more in terms of forgiveness/dispersion tightness. Try them with a KBS stiff 90 and you’ll see a massive difference imo. Having said that, there’s no telling if a different head/shaft combination would work even better, and for that I would advise a proper fitting with launch monitor and a full range of options. Any way you cut it, it’s great fun looking for a new set of irons so enjoy the process, once you find “the ones” you won’t need to do this for a very long time (unless you make significant swing changes).

I will try the forged with a lighter shaft, thanks

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Garmin G60 measures club speed, ball speed, and carry based on launch etc. It is rudimentary data, but interesting. You don't tell it what club you hit.
It really high lights that a 7i in one set is a 6i in another set. Distance gains really are a myth. Distance is a function of club head speed, and launch angle, with some spin thrown in.

One thing I have found is that I would be bang average on the LPGA. 6i, 80mph swing, 150 carry, 165 ish with run out. Now I can swap that 6i for a different club, say a 7i from a different set, but with an 80 mph swing speed, it's only going to carry 150. Tops.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

Input appreciated

I have had a fitting r

Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

Input appreciated

I have had a fitting relatively recently and enjoyed hitting all the latest models.
I think firstly you need to decide between the hollow headed irons (P790, ap3, King etc etc) and forged. For me the hollow headed were easier to hit, but launched incredibly high and gave me occasional flyers that went miles(combination of strong lofts and the hollow head design). I ended up with the apex 19 combo set. 4-7 in apex and 8-pw in the apex Pro. Best thing is to have fun trying them all....