Iron Shafts

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I popped into my local shop yesterday and borrowed a few irons....Not really looking at a change of scenery moreso a bit of noseyness about what diffenrent shafts ahve to do with ball flight....

Iv always hit quite a high ball....not balooning i dont think but just high....
So i wanted to see could a certain shaft lower my flight or is it just my swing that adds loft.....

Just as a guide i carry my 7 iron 135 mtrs which is about 150 yards....Thats the distance that i hit my Ping 7 iron....
If i was to compare the same 6 irons as below...I was getting more distance from the heavier shafts...Not sure why....It wasnt a whole pile but still noticable.

Theses are all 6 irons by the way.

I took 2 callaways... an x22 Tour with a project x flighted 5.5 shaft
an x forged with a flighted project x 6.0 shaft
A wilson staff FG Tour with a DG S300
A cobra s2 forged with a nippon ns pro 115 shaft
And my own Ping AWT Stiff shft

Here is what i could tell from my experience....

The DG S 300 felt a little boardy to me but it gave me the straightest flight of the 5....In comparison to my Ping it went further but reached nearly the same peak flight from what i could see.....
None of the clubs were an issue for to get air born and to be honest i found it hard to distinguish between the 5 as to which one was the best.....All the heads were of a similar size also...

Ball flight was very similar in all 5 as regards trajectory but the dispersion was a different story....
I sprayed my ping and the cobra a bit more than the others...... If im honest hitting the draw seemed a bit more pronounced with the lighter shafted clubs.
Both project X shafts seemed to have a little lower trajectory but no loss of distance but they were on no point boring......More mid to high.

So what do i take from this.....Is it just a swing flaw for me that i can hit these 5 different shafts similarly....Or is it just a case of getting a slightly stiffer shaft than what im using but opt for it to be a little lighter than the DG S300.....

I guess the only man to answer this may be Ethan......Let fly my friend ;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kid

Maybe your natural swing feel automatically corrected each swing enough to keep all of them on an optimum trajectory?

It can take time for shaft differences to be obvious, and a wider range of lofts and real playing conditions with some wind into or against might show more differences.

I would have expected TT DG to have the lowest initial launch, but have more spin, and perhaps reach as high a trajectory as much.

PX 5.5 and 6.0 (flighted) don't play very different to standard OX in the 6 iron, so I would expect a mid launch but not a high peak flight because they have a flatter trajectory.

NS Pro higher launch and peak, and possibly more spin. Ping AWT similar.

Worth trying KBS Tour at some stage, probably S flex.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kid

Maybe your natural swing feel automatically corrected each swing enough to keep all of them on an optimum trajectory?

It can take time for shaft differences to be obvious, and a wider range of lofts and real playing conditions with some wind into or against might show more differences.

I would have expected TT DG to have the lowest initial launch, but have more spin, and perhaps reach as high a trajectory as much.

PX 5.5 and 6.0 (flighted) don't play very different to standard OX in the 6 iron, so I would expect a mid launch but not a high peak flight because they have a flatter trajectory.

NS Pro higher launch and peak, and possibly more spin. Ping AWT similar.

Worth trying KBS Tour at some stage, probably S flex.

Cheers Ethan...
Your a Gent. ;)