Iron shafts steel or graphite

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
Is that basically it? I currently play with a set of Dunlop graphite shafted club, and I am upgrading to a set of callaways but the clubs i am looking at are steel shafted so this wont alter the way i have to use the club

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You'll probably find them a touch heavier but apart from that you should be fine.
As long as you get the right flex in the shaft, that's the important thing.
If you look around, the vast majority of golfers use steel,
so unless you're a lady or a senior (sorry Homer) stick with steel. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
.....the vast majority of golfers use steel,
so unless you're a lady (sorry Homer) stick with steel. :)

Bit below the belt Bob :D

Yea I know, sorry about that, but Homer is the only guy I know who uses graphites in his irons..........except Monty that is but he gets his free.
Nice bit of editing there Robo. Could have sworn I wrote seniors too :D

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thats a good question however i dont believe i know the answer all i can say is watever you decide to go with you have to persivere as it can take time to get used to a new material.myself i use graphite r/f which i have been told is an older mans setup.When i first started using them i shanked nearly every shot and was going to sell them straight away,however practice and persiverance payed off and now i hit them well.however my playing partner let me hit his steel shafts and i hit a club less for each shot.when i get my handicap down to single figures i will get steel shafts im sure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends. I had regular graphite TM Burner shafts in my tour burners and they produced a longer and higher flight than my R7's which were steel. However I think on reflection if I'm being honest my grouping was tighter with the steel. I've certainly noticed that my width of dispersion is still narrower with my R9's (it can still be a 60 yard area on a bad day!!!) and I get a lower more penertrating flight. My tempo changes and recent lesson means I'm not actually losing any distance compared to the graphite.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
started (as a senior) with graphites and have since changed to steel. In truth I think I could probably do with something a bit stiffer than the current 4.5 Rifles but they were what were fitted and the clubs were bought by hitting them not 'off the clock'.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried my irons in graphite and steel and preferred graphite, so that's what I bought. I'm not the fastest swinger of a club so they suit me well. I'm still getting decent distance with them and more importantly, I can do it consistantly.

So, try both and buy the one you like the best. Simple really :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had been playing graphite shafted irons for the last 15 years thinking they were helping me. They were lighter (which is definitely a help) and I felt that I was hitting the ball a lot better with graphite than my previous steel shafted irons.
Went to Mizuno in February this year for custom fitting and all of the monitors and test results showed that both my distance and dispersion (sp?) were better with the Nippon steel shafts offered as a free upgrade, so I went with them. Very happy I am too.
If you go for steel, make sure you get the right flex. I stupidly purchased a set of brand new Callaway irons fitted with S300 shafts. With my fairly slow swingspeed it was like trying to hit girders. My Nippons are regular and a fairly light shaft in comparison, and they feel like graphite when I'm using them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not wishing to put a downer on your win but make 100% sure they are the real deal as Cally is one of the most counterfeited brands on e-bay. If they are the real deal enjoy them and hope they do the business for you

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
The fella selling was kind enough to send me the serial number, and the 8 iron still has the register with callaway stcker on it, so all seems ok. As you say i have heard alot of people getting ripped off with fakes so did my reaserch