Iron shaft question

Lewisadam88

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding iron shafts, I'm looking for a different ball flight in my iron play. Consider myself a decent player, 7 handicap, 5"10, medium build, ~108mph swing speed (driver) and ball striking being the best part of my game, however I hate my ball flight. Last year i got a set of callaway x forged irons with project x 6.0 shafts. My ball flight completely changed and went from a low initial launch which rises to its peak, too a higher, very flat launch which is excellent in the wind but difficult to generate enough spin.

Now I have decided to try and get back to my old ball flight and change the shafts in my ions. My question being could anyone recommend a lower launch higher spinning shaft, I understand I should really get fitted, but but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts first.

Regards

Lewis

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The X Forged come with Project X Flighted as the standard shaft. Flighted is a different beast from standard PX, so I would not assume that standard PX are not a good fit. The clubhead also has an effect, some more spinny than others.

I would try the standard PX and KBS Tour. If you don't want low spin, maybe skip the KBS C-taper. The manufacturers recommend that standard PX play firmer than Flighted, so you should drop 0.5 flex and try PX 5.5. KBS Tour S would probably work nicely.

Your other option is to go back to TT DG which gives the peaking flight, but go up in stiffness to S400 or even X100. That will lower the flight and knock some spin off.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your other option is to go back to TT DG which gives the peaking flight, but go up in stiffness to S400 or even X100. That will lower the flight and knock some spin off.

S400 doesn't necessarily mean stiffer; just out of (slightly heavier than) the S300 weight spec.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
S400 doesn't necessarily mean stiffer; just out of (slightly heavier than) the S300 weight spec.

True, it doesn't flex at a higher CPM, but it will effectively play a shade stiffer. I started to write that sentence intending to reference X100 but then dropped in S400 as well en route.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding iron shafts, I'm looking for a different ball flight in my iron play. Consider myself a decent player, 7 handicap, 5"10, medium build, ~108mph swing speed (driver) and ball striking being the best part of my game, however I hate my ball flight. Last year i got a set of callaway x forged irons with project x 6.0 shafts. My ball flight completely changed and went from a low initial launch which rises to its peak, too a higher, very flat launch which is excellent in the wind but difficult to generate enough spin.

Now I have decided to try and get back to my old ball flight and change the shafts in my ions. My question being could anyone recommend a lower launch higher spinning shaft, I understand I should really get fitted, but but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts first.

Regards

Lewis

Just out of interest, did you just change shafts or did you change clubs too? If it was just the shafts you could use your old ones, what were they anyway and if you did have different clubs what were they (head, length etc: ) .

Lewisadam88

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, did you just change shafts or did you change clubs too? If it was just the shafts you could use your old ones, what were they anyway and if you did have different clubs what were they (head, length etc: ) .

I changed clubs, went from mizuno mp (tt dg's) to the callaway (px 6.0). I may look at the s400's, I used to love compressing the ball into the turf and watching the spin do the rest but now I feel like I'm getting to shallow in order to flight the ball properly. I have a pretty quick transition so may look at the s400's or project x in 5.5, I just hope I can generate the spin with the px's as the flight I'm getting with my px flighted is not to my taste at all.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I changed clubs, went from mizuno mp (tt dg's) to the callaway (px 6.0). I may look at the s400's, I used to love compressing the ball into the turf and watching the spin do the rest but now I feel like I'm getting to shallow in order to flight the ball properly. I have a pretty quick transition so may look at the s400's or project x in 5.5, I just hope I can generate the spin with the px's as the flight I'm getting with my px flighted is not to my taste at all.

Shafts can only do so much, club heads are an important factor in launch conditions, as I believe Ethan suggested.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

So have you tried 'compressing the ball into the turf' with the X-Forgeds? Not that that's what actually happens! That would tend to lower the flight and get more spin than a shallow angle of attack. PXs tend to be a bit boardy feeling, so maybe there's some unconscious protection of hands/wrists.

It's a relatively expensive change, so important to get right - and any audition for flight should be outdoors on grass rather than indoors on a mat imo. If not a fitter, then it might be worthwhile finding a friendly Mizuno stockist and trying their range of Demo/fitting 6-irons out. Callaway (with X-forged s) would be better, but I'm not sure whether their demo cart has the same range of shafts.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get to a callaway fitter and try out the x-forged with different shaft combinations. Just had mizuno DNA carried out and have gone from an S400 to an X100. The are a bit more of a beast, but they actually allow me to swing the club like I want to rather holding back a little bit. The DNA also advised the PX 6.0 and KBS Tour X-Stiff but I found that both shaft gave a flatter trajectory and actually lost distance. Would be well worth your while going to a cally fitter and getting looked at.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with most of the above in that the head and shaft work together, rather than just the shaft. Therefore look at style of clubhead too. You can also strengthen the lofts to knock spin off, but thats really only as final fine tune after getting the right head-shaft combo.

Lewisadam88

Medal Winner
Visit site
So have you tried 'compressing the ball into the turf' with the X-Forgeds? Not that that's what actually happens! That would tend to lower the flight and get more spin than a shallow angle of attack. PXs tend to be a bit boardy feeling, so maybe there's some unconscious protection of hands/wrists.

It's a relatively expensive change, so important to get right - and any audition for flight should be outdoors on grass rather than indoors on a mat imo. If not a fitter, then it might be worthwhile finding a friendly Mizuno stockist and trying their range of Demo/fitting 6-irons out. Callaway (with X-forged s) would be better, but I'm not sure whether their demo cart has the same range of shafts.

Went for a fitting today at a local pro, he basically told me that the flight i was after was completely wrong and bordering on a balooning flight that i would acheive with to weak of a flex, so he let me hit a few with a reg flex as an example, spin rates went through the roof, launch angle to. So after swallowing my pride we got down to business.

Settled on KBS Tour in S flex with titleist 712mb head, 6 iron averages were 198 carry, 225 total, 5500 spin, -850 sidespin, 13.3 launch with a nice boring flight.

Lesson learned, get fitted before buying. Thanks for your help, any comments on the numbers (which i thought sounded highly suspect) are welcome.

Also liked the project x 6.5 however got a bit scared at the thought of trying to load them on half shots etc.

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went for a fitting today at a local pro, he basically told me that the flight i was after was completely wrong and bordering on a balooning flight that i would acheive with to weak of a flex, so he let me hit a few with a reg flex as an example, spin rates went through the roof, launch angle to. So after swallowing my pride we got down to business.

Settled on KBS Tour in S flex with titleist 712mb head, 6 iron averages were 198 carry, 225 total, 5500 spin, -850 sidespin, 13.3 launch with a nice boring flight.

Lesson learned, get fitted before buying. Thanks for your help, any comments on the numbers (which i thought sounded highly suspect) are welcome.

Also liked the project x 6.5 however got a bit scared at the thought of trying to load them on half shots etc.

Spin is on the low side for 6 and coupled with a very low launch angle and big roll out, I think your suspicions on the numbers are partly founded. The flight for these numbers is very low. Can I ask what launch monitor was used?

Lewisadam88

Medal Winner
Visit site
Spin is on the low side for 6 and coupled with a very low launch angle and big roll out, I think your suspicions on the numbers are partly founded. The flight for these numbers is very low. Can I ask what launch monitor was used?

Unsure on the sim, I've used both trackman and flightscope and it was neither. The pro did say something about it being the same one used on the sky golf coverage. It may have been my poor memory not the simulator, however I do know that the launch was pretty low.

Based on these numbers would you have recommended the same shaft?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unsure on the sim, I've used both trackman and flightscope and it was neither. The pro did say something about it being the same one used on the sky golf coverage. It may have been my poor memory not the simulator, however I do know that the launch was pretty low.

Based on these numbers would you have recommended the same shaft?

If he meant in the Sky Sports Golf studio, it was the GC2 launch monitor then. And probably the first generation without the HMT add-on. They are very, very good as they measure ball data directly rather than reverse calculate it.

As for the shaft recommendation, I can't offer a concrete opinion as theres a few variables not available, etc. What I do know is for that 6i data, you are hitting it like a 4 or 5 iron.

Lewisadam88

Medal Winner
Visit site
If he meant in the Sky Sports Golf studio, it was the GC2 launch monitor then. And probably the first generation without the HMT add-on. They are very, very good as they measure ball data directly rather than reverse calculate it.

As for the shaft recommendation, I can't offer a concrete opinion as theres a few variables not available, etc. What I do know is for that 6i data, you are hitting it like a 4 or 5 iron.

Understood, and thanks for all your help.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty sure that whenever a ball is hit into a net, there's a calculation done to work out Distance, Dispersion etc. But certainly the high speed camera seems to give accurate data for a 'reasonable' price.

Same applies to the Doppler Radar LMs of course, but, outdoors, it's capable of tracking the flight all the way.

The HMT add-on to the GC2 is a simple and effective way of getting head stats.