Iron shaft query....(one for Ethan maybe)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
quick query, was cleaning my irons and realised they are stiff shafted NS Pro 100. I always thought they were reg (drunk ebay purchase lol). Now I hit them well and distances are decent 150yds 7 iron average and 5 went 185 yesterday (measured on course with gps), control very good. When I was fitted by TM I was given KBS tour reg

My woods/hybrids are stiff (custom fit) so I am really at a quandry with my irons. I am not overly concerned but was trying a mates TP CB's and they were lovely but have a DG S300 shaft, again I had no issues with distance and were pretty straight.

Am I just someone who is inbetween reg/stiff so either will suit or are these 3 similar in how they play?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
NS Pro 100s are quite different from the KBS Tours and DGS300s - about 25gms or more (25%) lighter!

Probably comparable distance to the TM fitted ones because of you swing a few mph faster. Nippon stiff isn't over stiff either. Fine if you can control them, but not something I could do with 950s! Also explains their higher flight. I wouldn't worry about higher flight for irons, unless really high. Means drop and stop is more likely!

And yes, you probably are in that 'firm' range - and seemingly not particularly sensitive to different shafts. Life is simpler that way!

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah I bought some callaway xforged with DG S300 a while back and hit them fine aswell, a crap shot is still a crap shot regardless of club/shaft :D

I actually found the KBS tour/Rbladez combo too light and found myself swinging too quick (tempo wise) if that makes sense.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I actually found the KBS tour/Rbladez combo too light and found myself swinging too quick (tempo wise) if that makes sense.

Nope!

Btw. Did a bit more hunting on the Pro 100s. Not as light as the '100' would indicate (112 grams). Still lighter than S300s/KBS Tours that are around 130gms though. Titleist heads?

Light feeling might have been Swing weight, though it takes quite a bit to be noticeable imo - at least for me as I know 2 of mine 4 points heavier than the others, but can't really tell (except by knowing!).

And, er, what were you trying to do with the XForgeds? Alcohol induced purchase?

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
With your 150 carry 7 iron(no idea of the loft) I would tend to think (generally) like me your are good with a R or S so long as the S is not extreme, clearly there is no standard. I carry my 7 almost exactly 150, I have never had the Mizuno DNA offer me regular in 10+ times of using it but my fitter and I found the R300 a more usable shaft for me....

Sounding like your still on good form!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
the xforged's were indeed a drunken purchase although very nice to hit my reality check kicked in and I flogged them on.

the nspro are on a titleist head, 775 cb forged. Alex they are 2008 so not super jacked lofts like recent clubs although pw is 45 deg.

Thanks both, it certainly clears it up for me. As usual I am inbetween.... a bit like my swing :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so as per the sig, irons have changed :)

was on the advice of my teaching pro actually, he reckons I would be better with reg shafts (as did my TM fitting last year)

DG XP r300 to be precise. oh and had a lesson last night and was hitting them extremely well :D