Iron Placement

Tclark29

Visit site
Hi,

I recently started golfing about 5 months ago. I've seen videos about putting irons in the middle of my stance, and the shorter the irons, the farther back you should be putting them. I could never get the ball off the ground or always topped them, so I started putting them in the front-mide of the stance where I put my 3 wood. Now I'm able to hit it up high and farther.

I could see 2 reasons why, 1. I'm about 5'6 and my arms are a span of 5'8
and 2. I'm using clubs that are too long so I need to adjust

I just want to figure out why it works and if there are any tips that could help out in the long run in general

Thanks!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was taught that any iron v ball position should not be further back than middle of the stance unless deliberately trying to deloft the club for a non standard type of shot

The wedge position is middle of the stance and with each club the ball goes slightly forward of middle. The further forward it is the more you will hit the ball up as the loft increases the further forward the club head is in the swing.

If you want an idea of the correct length lie etc do a static fit on the Ping website.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might just be getting your hands to far in front of the ball at impact.
This delofts the club.
I play most shots with irons just in front of centre of stance.
I don’t move my ball position until I hit woods and driver it goes forward then.
Record it on your phone and compare it to some pros on YouTube at impact, that’s what counts.
If you do this though be prepared for a shock ,our swings are not always the thing of beauty we think they are.