Iron lengthening

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Following my post in the "most valuable club" poll....I have been wondering.

I have seen a few companies that offer irons all the same length. This is to reduce the "thinking" & set up the same for every iron shot.

I favour my 7 iron for the length of shaft as it is easily the most comfortable for me. My question is, if I get all the irons fitted to the same length, would I need anything else adjusted?

Also, would any of you see the potential benefit in doing this?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been thinking the same. I struggle with longer irons and a 7 iron is the longest I have that I hit consistently well. I go down the shaft slightly on a 6 iron and don't even bother with a 5 as I would have to go down to far on that and it would not be comfortable. I am toying with buying a 5 and getting the pro to cut it down to the exact same length as my magic 7 iron.

My assumption is that all that will happen is that I will hit the ball with a lower trajectory and so hopefully it will go slightly further and run more. I know I will lose some theoretical distance with a shorter shaft but as I will strike it better and more consistently then the overall result will be much improved.

I'll follow this thread and if either of us go ahead then we can post any results, if we follow through with it :thup:

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll follow this thread and if either of us go ahead then we can post any results, if we follow through with it :thup:

I acquired a set of Mizuno Astron they other day from Gumtree. They were free, so got them for HID but she has since decided to not bother taking Golf up.....

I may just arrange for these to go off to the pro......failing that my usual set won't go till the end of season. At least then I have the winter to practice...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lt- you need some height on your irons. You won't be able to hold greens if you don't hit the ball high enough.

Low trajectory 5i might be ok off the tee and hitting into greens with no protection in front. Otherwise holding greens epically in the summer months will prove difficult.

Still would be interested to hear how this works out if you go for it. I'd love a round with dechambeau's iron set up just to see how they perform.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Might be a daft question.....just by lengthening/shortening shaft length why would that result in a change to trajectory?

If you a "X" degree iron at 38" shaft, surely it will still be "X" degree at 36" or 40" shaft? I get that the lie may need to change, but the loft would still be the same...no?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Longer shaft will be swung faster producing more spin sending the ball higher than a shorter shaft of the same static loft with the same amount of dynamic loft presented at impact.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Low trajectory 5i might be ok off the tee and hitting into greens with no protection in front.

This is exactly what I am looking for. Longer approach shots, 2nd shots on par 5's or for tight tee shots. I can't get on with my hybrid so I thought this would be an interesting experiment.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shorter shafted 5i won't hit it further than a half decent hybrid. It will also be very dependent on the actual Strike.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can anyone around here take ownership of the spare mizunos, reshaft/regrip them accordingly so I can test the theory? Wouldn't be for a while incase HID changes her mind again...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately I seem to have a mental block with even a very decent hybrid, never mind a half decent one. Hitting my irons is less problematic although I have problems the longer they get, hence looking to get a shorter version. I've had lessons purely on using my hybrid and whilst it works for a short period I just can't get to repeat it time after time. My fault, no question but I seem to be able to commit to my 7i in a very full way that gives a repeatably clean strike more often than not. Not the purists way to solve this but life would be very boring if we all followed the same path. Not a million miles away from people using mini drivers, same theory really.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone around here take ownership of the spare mizunos, reshaft/regrip them accordingly so I can test the theory? Wouldn't be for a while incase HID changes her mind again...

Take one club to your local pro shop and they will cut it down and regrip it. Mine has already offered to do it, I just have to find a single club, 5i in my case, to match my other irons, I currently do not own anything below a 6i.