Iron club head speed

CraigRobertson

Visit site
Hi everyone. I’m a bit lost and looking for advice or suggestions for what seems and odd situation.
My driver swing speed is usually between 95-100, but my 7 iron is about 70, often less. It’s a big gap and I’ve lost loads of distance with my irons but driving is good as ever. I can’t figure why there’s such a drop off in speed. Driver is stiff shaft, irons are regular shaft - I doubt that the difference though as it used to be fine.
Any ideas ?‍♂️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Iron speed for 'regular' average or whatever you want to call it is around 80 MPH

90mph is about where a fast swing would start
and
70 is considered to be about where a slow swing is

For me my once 95 MPH is now around 65-70 for me age and injury have become very big factors particularly in the last 5 years.

Mr driver speed when last measured was 108 but the iron speed was around the 70 mark. Driver design and shafts are very much a large part of the reason that driver speed is still good.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not sure how old these are but came across this recently :

For men on the PGA Tour, the average driver swing speed is 112 mph, while the average 5-iron swing speed is 94 mph. The average driver swing speed for women on the LPGA Tour is 94 mph, while the average 5-iron swing speed is 79 mph. In both cases, the 5-iron swing speed is 84 percent of the driver swing speed.

I seem the be the other way around, when practising I can step my iron speed up, but can't really move the needle on the driver.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the typical 6 iron is about 85% of driver speed, so the OP's numbers look a bit light for the iron. I would start by looking at club weight. Do the irons have heavy old shafts that he can't really move fast enough? These days a lot of players, amateur and pro, use lighter weight shafts, often around 90-100g in the irons, which are a lot easier to get back to the ball with speed than the 130g TT DGs, for example. The flex is probably not really as important, and a stiff driver shaft is still probably relatively light, often in the 60 gram range.

CraigRobertson

Visit site
Thanks for the posts folks. Iron shafts are True Temper Dynalite 90 (cobra irons). I’m 47, fit, flexible and I don’t think I’ve lost any strength. Maybe trying too hard to swing faster is having the opposite effect??

CraigRobertson

Visit site
Practice getting it in the hole then rather than worrying about numbers......just like BdC!
Hitting 5 iron where I used to hit an 8 isn’t helping me “get it in the hole”. I’m trying to get back to a normal iron swing speed range, not fast or exceptionally fast, so nothing like BdC. Thanks anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are trying to hit it hard you may be leaving the club head behind in your transition.
If the club head dosnt catch up by impact you will lose speed.
Do you push the ball a lot or what’s your shot shape.?
Might just be you have self diagnosed and got it a bit wrong.
You wouldn’t be the first!!
Try hitting your 7 iron 150yds by trying different things except swinging faster.
Leaving the head behind can make you steep at impact this puts a lot of spin on the ball and big divots.
A lesson and different pair of eyes will see the problem, and be well worth it.
It will give you something to work on.

CraigRobertson

Visit site
If you are trying to hit it hard you may be leaving the club head behind in your transition.
If the club head dosnt catch up by impact you will lose speed.
Do you push the ball a lot or what’s your shot shape.?
Might just be you have self diagnosed and got it a bit wrong.
You wouldn’t be the first!!
Try hitting your 7 iron 150yds by trying different things except swinging faster.
Leaving the head behind can make you steep at impact this puts a lot of spin on the ball and big divots.
A lesson and different pair of eyes will see the problem, and be well worth it.
It will give you something to work on.
Thanks clubchamp98, I think a fresh pair of eyes (lesson) will be the answer as you’ve suggested. I’m doing something with irons that I’m not with a driver - might be really obvious to a pro ???

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the posts folks. Iron shafts are True Temper Dynalite 90 (cobra irons). I’m 47, fit, flexible and I don’t think I’ve lost any strength. Maybe trying too hard to swing faster is having the opposite effect??

Contrary to Ethan sometimes a much lighter shaft can just result in a lot higher shot and not extra distance. At my last iron fitting it was recommended I stay with a heavier shaft. My personal preference used to be Dynamic Gold SL which in todays terms is something like an XP115.

It vey depends on your swing and how you load the shaft. May be worth trying some different shafts out.

Ssshank

Visit site
Hi everyone. I’m a bit lost and looking for advice or suggestions for what seems and odd situation.
My driver swing speed is usually between 95-100, but my 7 iron is about 70, often less. It’s a big gap and I’ve lost loads of distance with my irons but driving is good as ever. I can’t figure why there’s such a drop off in speed. Driver is stiff shaft, irons are regular shaft - I doubt that the difference though as it used to be fine.
Any ideas ?‍♂️

Do you tend to swing full out with your driver? If that's your upper limit then it probably isn't miles off as when swinging with a short iron you are looking for control over distance.

For example, my playing swing is around 110 but I can max out at low 120s but very rarely do I swing that fast.

average 7 iron is around 89 ss, so from my max it looks like a considerable gap but again I'm not swinging full out normaly.

CraigRobertson

Visit site
Do you tend to swing full out with your driver? If that's your upper limit then it probably isn't miles off as when swinging with a short iron you are looking for control over distance.

For example, my playing swing is around 110 but I can max out at low 120s but very rarely do I swing that fast.

average 7 iron is around 89 ss, so from my max it looks like a considerable gap but again I'm not swinging full out normaly.
100 with driver is going after it, but so is 70 with a 7 iron! An easy swing with a 7 is currently 55-60. The reasons it bothers me is that I used to be over 150 with a 7 with what felt like much less effort.

Ssshank

Visit site
100 with driver is going after it, but so is 70 with a 7 iron! An easy swing with a 7 is currently 55-60. The reasons it bothers me is that I used to be over 150 with a 7 with what felt like much less effort.

Ah, that is odd. What system did you use to track your SS?

Have you not had lessons for a while?

Depending on how your swing speed was measured your speed may not be down but the reduction in distance could be due to ingraining poor movements i.e swinging too much down and left with an open face.

Too many variables really, as someone has said a fresh pair of eyes sounds like a good idea.

Also, I don't agree with the poster regarding your age as a factor as you wouldn't be swinging 100mph with driver if that was the case.