Iron’s upgrade

Cal84

Visit site
Evening folks,

Looking for some advise on upgrading my callaway irons. I currently play with callaway x18 irons with golf pride jumbo grips all standar lengths and lofts etc.

Managed to play the tail end of last season after hand surgery and handicap sitting at 12 and decreasing.....

I can hit the x18’s well, which begs the question why upgrade, but the heads are in relatively poor condition with slight sign of rust so thinking of an upgrade.

Can someone advise what callaway model I should demo? Been looking at CF16’s and the steelhead pro’s (however going off them due to reports of the graphite colouring chipping easily)

Would the cf16’s be an upgrade toth x18s but have some similarities in terms of weight and feel of the strike?

I will get the new irons custom fitted , however looking for a starting point.

Any responses would be greatly received.

Regards
Callum

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Evening folks,

Looking for some advise on upgrading my callaway irons. I currently play with callaway x18 irons with golf pride jumbo grips all standar lengths and lofts etc.

Managed to play the tail end of last season after hand surgery and handicap sitting at 12 and decreasing.....

I can hit the x18’s well, which begs the question why upgrade, but the heads are in relatively poor condition with slight sign of rust so thinking of an upgrade.

Can someone advise what callaway model I should demo? Been looking at CF16’s and the steelhead pro’s (however going off them due to reports of the graphite colouring chipping easily)

Would the cf16’s be an upgrade toth x18s but have some similarities in terms of weight and feel of the strike?

I will get the new irons custom fitted , however looking for a starting point.

Any responses would be greatly received.

Regards
Callum

Welcome along. Wel done at getting the handicap moving downwards. The only word of caution I'd sound is that the CF16 was released October 15 (I think) and so finding a set around and getting a fit may not be that easy. Have a look at somewhere like Golfbidder or ebay to get a feel for what is out there. Depending on the budget, have a look at what is around in terms of previous releases (eg the last incarnation of the Titleist since they released their new AP1, 2 and the new 3) and see if you can get a set of the previous model at a good price

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can you control your distance ? Obvious question but I went to get fitted for cf16s very recently and they were bombers, great if you're new or not a long hitting iron, but they weren't for me due to spin rates.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you control your distance ? Obvious question but I went to get fitted for cf16s very recently and they were bombers, great if you're new or not a long hitting iron, but they weren't for me due to spin rates.
yes I had this problem with Titleist AP3s so went for Mizuno JPX forged.

Why restrict yourself to one manufacturer have a good look around during winter you may find something better.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Go to Callaway Chessington and get fitted - decision out if your hands then - I went with the view I was buying cf16 and walked out with sh pros fitting sheet - and yes they discolour but are you marrying them or playing golf with them ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've got the CF16, changed from Ping last year. Apart from the fact that I had a nasty duck hook for most of last year, when I do hit them straight, they go a country mile. Am working on straightening the swing out and really happy with the Callaways.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are not too bothered about forged and you like X18s then look at Benross. Their HTX compressor irons are getting a lot of good reviews and it will save a lot of money compared to Callie because they do not pay pros to play them.

I would look around generally because a lot of manufacturers with similar clubs.

With that sort of budget I would maybe wait for the new Wilson C300 to reach the shops to give them a try.