iphone gps

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your golf club are wrong....they do not have the power to change a Rule of Golf....

Sorry chap you still are......

Any club or league in any sport in any competition can make their own rules.....golf have local rules...

It also happens a lot in cricket :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rule 33-1

The Comittee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.

I think we've established that this is a poor rule. It's tricky to Police, it's not totally clear which devices are legal and which are not making the whole thing a confusing mess.

But.

At the moment, under the Rule, use of an iphone as a DMD is not permitted in Competition.
The fact that a Course Manager/Secretary/Comittee Member/Captain etc etc says its ok is meaningless. As meaningless as them saying its ok to kick your ball out of the rough, or if you lose a ball just drop one where you are - the Rules are being broken. Like it or not.
I understand the frustration but, and this goes to anyone using an iphone for GPS, you have to make a decision based on what you know. If you know they are against the Rules and you still use one then you are breaking the Rules. And willfully breaking the Rules is only going to get you called one thing.
Would you use a banned Driver in competition, knowing its against the Rules? Would you trample down grass behind your ball in the rough? Would you ground your club in a hazard?

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk//showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/356517/an/0/page/0#356517

further to this post i asked our pro about it and even tho the sgu websites say you can't use them he said our club have a local rule stating you can use an iphone eg golfshot for competition play.

so murph i ain't a cheat :),i don't know why but thats the rule at my club

My club did the same. They spend a fortnight looking Into it and came up with the same answer that we can use it.

Still haven't used it in a comp yet because all the markers on the course are accurate.

Imurg

Visit site
Then they're wrong too.

Look at the R&A website.
Look up Rule 14.3
Click the FAQ's tab
Look at number 6

The use of distance measuring devices during a stipulated round remains contrary to the Rules of Golf, however a Committee can permit the use of distance measuring devices via a local rule - see Decision 14-3/0.5. The use of a distance measuring device that is designed to guage or measure other conditions that might affect a players play (e.g gradient, wind speed, temperature etc) is not permitted, regardless of whether such an additional function is used or not.

Also look at Decision 14.3/4

Use of Compass During Round

Q. A player uses a compass during a round to assist him in determining wind direction or the direction of the grain in the greens or for some other similar reason. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A. Yes. A compass is considered to be an artificial device and must not be used for these purposes.

Therefore, if your iphone has a compass installed you can't use it in competition, whether you use the compass or not.

That took me 5 minutes to find - your clubs took how long to come to the wrong answer....? :D

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
decided not to bother with it today to be honest best ball stiking round in ages,(we've sprinkler heads with the distances on the markers),but might need the gps for putting 7 3 putts never had that in my puff :(

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Then they're wrong too.

Look at the R&A website.
Look up Rule 14.3
Click the FAQ's tab
Look at number 6

The use of distance measuring devices during a stipulated round remains contrary to the Rules of Golf, however a Committee can permit the use of distance measuring devices via a local rule - see Decision 14-3/0.5. The use of a distance measuring device that is designed to guage or measure other conditions that might affect a players play (e.g gradient, wind speed, temperature etc) is not permitted, regardless of whether such an additional function is used or not.
ok so I maybe being completely stupid here but does that mean every club has to have a local rule in place to allow gps systems?

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
interesting one. I never knew this and I dont use one but all our local rules are on the back of our scorecards, same as other clubs i assume, or do you guys who use them have the rule up in the changing rooms?

Imurg

Visit site
Check the changing room. This has not been in force long enough to make it onto the cards at most clubs yet unless they've had a recent re-print.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont go in the changing rooms that often usually rock up and play, might go in there and check tomorrow, would be suprised if they didnt have a rule in place as they sell sky caddie in the shop

shagster

Head Pro
Visit site
never found a compass tell me wind direction, usually chuck grass up in air :D
easy answer is to ban all gps etc from comps no more problems, but that would upset sky caddie sharew holders etc.
R&A need to get there act together
shagster :D :D