iPad Data Usage Question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Next month I have to make do without wi-fi for a week. I get a decent chunk with my phone contract so I'm not worried about going over my limit on my phone as long as I'm sensible.

What I would like to do is to use my phone as a hotspot to connect my iPad to, but what I don't want is for my iPad to do all the business it would usually do while it's connected to wifi (which it will think it is).

So far I have thought of:

Turn off background app refresh.
Turn off automatic updates for the App Store.
Turn off automatic backups.

I want it to do absolutely nothing with data other than what I ask it to do when I want something, like internet browsing.

Have I missed anything?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can monitor usage on your phone, under Mobile Data/System Services/Personal Hotspot.

Keep a track of what that is doing and make sure both devices are not using data they shouldn't as you are doing.

Photos are a huge hog, turn off the photo stream.

You can turn off apps such as Netflix etc from using mobile data on the phone. I turn off any apps I don't want using mobile data.

Before you start reset your statistics on the phone so you know exactly how much you have used.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not worried about the phone, just the iPad doing unspeakable things with my data when I tether it to my phone.

As far as I know, the phone won't know what apps on the iPad are using what amount of data, it'll just show as data through the mobile hotspot as far as usage is concerned.

Also, because the iPad is wifi only there are no (that I can see) usage statistics for data.

G

guest100718

how much data do you get. Also not all contracts allow tethering, or they set a limit

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
how much data do you get. Also not all contracts allow tethering, or they set a limit

I get 5GB. I'm definitely allowed tethering as I've done it before, but unsure if there's a limit - but I doubt it.

If I can stop the iPad doing stuff in the background I will be fine. If I can't I'll have to use my phone for the forum and I'm not sure I have the patience for that :mad: