Introduction and question

Oops!

Hacker
Visit site
Hello, everybody,

may I introduce myself : My name is Joachim, I'm 56 years old and living in Germany. I used to play regularely 15-20 years ago, had to stop for lack of time then, but started again now. I never played a PC less a HC - that wasn't necessary at that time and course : The greenkeeper knew everyone in person and whom he could allow to enter the course and who'd better be kept outside ... ! To estimate my playing ability : On a good day I played the course (18 holes, par 70) just below 100 (hits ? strokes ? - Sorry, what is it called correctly ?).

Back then I sold all my clubs including my putter. The other clubs were replaced in no time, but I'm still yearning for my old putter, even more because in fact I imported it myself from the U. S., but don't remember its name anymore ! :( So I'd really apppreciate it if anyone here can help me out on this one !

The putter was a massive mallet-shaped one and had a gap behind its surface. Other than the actual putters which get quite flat behind the surface (f. e. Odyssey putters), this one kept its massive form continuously (more likely to the PING cadence TR). If you hit it perfectly with the sweet spot, you got a wonderful "PING !" sound almost like a tuning fork, otherwise the sound was rather a "PLOCK !" ;)

I tried a little drawing, maybe someone recognizes it ? :confused:

Joachim.

P. S.: Please excuse my poor English, I'm quite out of practice ... ! :eek:

Attachments

• Putter-1.jpg
    Putter-1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 16

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome Joachim!

Quite a few makers did (or do) putters along those lines. Certainly Scotty has done some (the Tour model), as has Bettinardi - eg BB16. However, those are both probably later than your original one and you are unlikely to find the same one again! Even if you do, it's unlikely to have the same balance!

Depending on where the shaft attaches to the head (heel or centre shafted), you could look at some of the Yes ones. The Victoria II is faced balanced (slightly unusual in a heel shafted model). Molly is similar shape but definitely a 'toe-hang' model. It's certainly a case of looking around (especially Ebay) though!

Oops!

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for your tips, but actually I'm not looking for a new putter, but my "old" one - I hope you'll understand ? :eek:

In the meantime I just tried Google Picture Search with the keywords "mallet putter gap -wedge" and came accross the Ray Cook M-1 mallet putter, which seems to be at least very similar to the one I used to play. On the other hand I could have sworn that the gap behind the club face went right down from top to bottom - but hey, maybe I'm mistaken on this one after more than 15 years ... !?! :confused: To be shure I'd have to listen to a hit (hit ?) : I'm shure I'd recognize it immediately by its sound ! :thup:

Somebody here with this club by any chance ... ? :confused:

Anyway : Since the Ray Cook M-1 was introduced to the market it has been quite a while, to put it mildly, and design and developement didn't stopp since - this said, what would you recommend : Is the search for my "old" club worth it or ist the progress on the new putters so substantial that I should change over to a new model anyway ? :confused: