Insulation tape on driver

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A guy I was playing with at the weekend had a new driver (callaway xhot) I commented on how it's really nice on the eye. He gave me a Look and I noticed it had insulation tape where the face meets the head, to avoid sky marks.
I was surprised to see it there as he hit straight and a long way.
anyway, is this legal or not?

ps I really must get myself one of them rule book thingies...

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers buddy :cheers:

Sorry but Nemicu is wrong.

Decision 4-1/5 said:
Q. May a player put an adhesive bandage or tape on the clubhead to reduce glare or to protect the club from being damaged?

A. An adhesive bandage or tape added to the clubhead is considered an external attachment, rendering the club non-conforming (see Appendix II, Rule 1a, but see also Decision 4-1/4). However, material attached to the clubhead that does not affect the performance of the club and is semi-permanent, durable, not easily removable and conforms to the shape of the clubhead may be permitted by exception, but an adhesive bandage or tape does not fall under that exception because such items are temporary in nature and easily removable.

See "A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls", Section 1a, for detailed criteria regarding permissible external attachments, such as alignment markings, protective coverings or decorative decals.

Additionally, adding such an attachment during the stipulated round would change the club's playing characteristics in breach of Rule 4-2.

The Vinyl covers are permitted because they meet the requirements of the exception underlined. The part in bold highlights why tape isn't allowed.

The latest edition of the magazine also discusses issues similar with regard to impact tape used during a round.

Last edited:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site

The Vinyl covers are permitted because they meet the requirements of the exception underlined. The part in bold highlights why tape isn't allowed.

The latest edition of the magazine also discusses issues similar with regard to impact tape used during a round.

It's a bit more complex than that. A lot would depend on the nature of the covering - since we have no way of knowing either way, I would be inclined to think that it was a proprietary covering designed for this purpose, rather than an ad-hoc fix used by the player. I suggest you read the guide to clubs and balls, rather than making an immediate judgement I'm in the wrong. Some tapes are indeed, semi-permanent, durable, not easily removed and conforms to the shape of the head - and are not vinyl. And therefore conform.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a bit more complex than that. A lot would depend on the nature of the covering - since we have no way of knowing either way, I would be inclined to think that it was a proprietary covering designed for this purpose, rather than an ad-hoc fix used by the player. I suggest you read the guide to clubs and balls, rather than making an immediate judgement I'm in the wrong. Some tapes are indeed, semi-permanent, durable, not easily removed and conforms to the shape of the head - and are not vinyl. And therefore conform.

The OP states the driver has insulation tape on it, this tends to be easily removable and temporary in nature. I am aware that some non-vinyl tapes may meet the criteria but insulation tape certainly does not.

Sorry I should have specified the insulation tape mentioned by the OP in my original reply.

Last edited:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
The OP states the driver has insulation tape on it, this tends to be easily removable and temporary in nature. I am aware that some non-vinyl tapes may meet the criteria but insulation tape certainly does not.

Sorry I should have specified the insulation tape mentioned by the OP in my original reply.

Granted, but I've seen enough Callway X Hot's fitted with scuff or "pop up" covers to know that this is probably not the case.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When answering rules questions it is a good idea to do two things: 1. cite the authority for it ( rule. decision, wild-ass guess.) and 2. the reasoning behind it (how the rule applies to the facts of the case.) Cuts down on posts and disagreements. :sbox:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

How does the insulation tape, attached for protection only, not to affect performance, differ from Lead Tape attached to the sole and clearly for the purpose of affecting performance? There's a Decision specifically querying Lead Tape and the answer is that it is allowed!

Seems a touch bizarre to me!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That thread was about the face, which IMO must affect ball flight. in this case the insolation tape is only on the head.

Maybe I should report it, with it being his first competition off too high a handicap, he won it by a mile! I'm sure that would go down well...

however, still not sure if the question has been answered categorically. So I'll keep my nose outta this and be blissfully unaware

thanks all. :thup:

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How does the insulation tape, attached for protection only, not to affect performance, differ from Lead Tape attached to the sole and clearly for the purpose of affecting performance? There's a Decision specifically querying Lead Tape and the answer is that it is allowed!

Seems a touch bizarre to me!
I rathered wondered if I could cover the speed slots on the bottom of my TM Stage 2 hybrids with insulation tape, to stop them getting full of mud. Obviously I can't, so I will have to continue to dig the stuff out with a castle tee! :)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
That thread was about the face, which IMO must affect ball flight. in this case the insolation tape is only on the head.

Maybe I should report it, with it being his first competition off too high a handicap, he won it by a mile! I'm sure that would go down well...

however, still not sure if the question has been answered categorically. So I'll keep my nose outta this and be blissfully unaware

thanks all. :thup:

If it is insulation tape then it does not meet the requirements of the rules as this is not durable and it is easily removed. Is it worth kicking up a fuss about because he won? Probably not. But could be worth giving him a heads up that he may want to consider an alternative.

It it is a pop-up cover such as club armour or similar as described by Nemicu then these do comply as they are durable, semi-permanent, aren't easily removed and conform to the shape of the head.

There are however other protective coating such as Ghost Tape which do not comply because although durable and conforming to shape they are also designed to provide temporary protection and are easily removed.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know the reasoning but wonder if it is one of those "traditional use' things?

Yes it is Colin, methinks you know the mind of the R&A to well ;)

From the Guide to the rules on clubs and balls.

The two notable exceptions to the pre-2008 "external attachments" Rule were (a) the permission to use lead tape on the shaft or the head, and (b) the use of a suction cup at the end of the grip of a putter to assist with retrieving the ball from the hole. Whilst lead tape can affect the performance of the club and a rubber suction cup would exceed the diameter of the butt end of the grip, the use of both of these items will continue to be permitted on a traditional basis under the new interpretation (see Section 8 - Dimensions, Volume & Moment of Inertia, below for details on the use of lead tape on driver heads with a high Moment of Inertia).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't know the reasoning but wonder if it is one of those "traditional use' things?

My thoughts too, with the ruling against the insulation tape made in order to prevent the opening of a large can of worms! How about Lead tape being used to prevent damage!!! :rolleyes: That's why I used the word bizarre!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it is Colin, methinks you know the mind of the R&A to well ;)

From the Guide to the rules on clubs and balls.

The two notable exceptions to the pre-2008 "external attachments" Rule were (a) the permission to use lead tape on the shaft or the head, and (b) the use of a suction cup at the end of the grip of a putter to assist with retrieving the ball from the hole. Whilst lead tape can affect the performance of the club and a rubber suction cup would exceed the diameter of the butt end of the grip, the use of both of these items will continue to be permitted on a traditional basis under the new interpretation (see Section 8 - Dimensions, Volume & Moment of Inertia, below for details on the use of lead tape on driver heads with a high Moment of Inertia).

Thanks for the reminder, Bob. Not so much a matter of knowing the R&A mind as having a residual memory of that paragraph. I read it a while ago in the context of checking that the rubber claw on the end of my putter (which I regret to say I now need for lifting my ball out the hole) was legal. I now recollect reading the bit about the lead tape in passing. Something must have stuck!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
My thoughts too, with the ruling against the insulation tape made in order to prevent the opening of a large can of worms! How about Lead tape being used to prevent damage!!! :rolleyes: That's why I used the word bizarre!

Lead tapes tend to have a significant thickness which may cause it to fall foul whereas the protective covers available are thinner. The other thing is the exception for lead tape used in the traditional way is purely to add weight to the club. If used for any other purpose it may bring it into question, at least that would be my reading of the rules.

Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, or decorative items or alignment aids, provided the item is semi-permanent, durable and not easily removable. However, such items must not excessively protrude from the clubhead and must conform to the shape of the clubhead. Also, for driving clubs, such attachments must not serve to cause any confusion with the correct identification of a club on the Conforming Driver List. Permanent additions to a clubhead would be considered part of the head and, therefore, the head, in its modified state, would have to conform to Appendix II, 4 of the Rules (i.e. for dimensions and "plain in shape").

The possibility of using lead tape on the sole of a club such as for covering the speed slots. is also ruled out by the part in Appendix ii b) which states that "all adjustable parts are firmly fixed and there is no reasonable likelihood of them working loose during a round" when you look at the FAQ re: lead tape.

I think it would be unreasonable to expect that something stuck to the sole of a club won't work lose during a round as it will have repeated contact with the ground (unlike the provisions allowed for lead tape used on a shaft)