Initial hcp /WHS

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My assumption that under WHS all initial rounds are counting until for over 8. Is it incorrect?

Asking as here is the scenario.

- the player gets their initial hcp before WHS

- doesn’t play for two years

- WHS is introduced and picks up that initial hcp

- the player now played two competitive rounds, both appear on WHS but are non-counting

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My assumption that under WHS all initial rounds are counting until for over 8. Is it incorrect?

Asking as here is the scenario.

- the player gets their initial hcp before WHS

- doesn’t play for two years

- WHS is introduced and picks up that initial hcp

- the player now played two competitive rounds, both appear on WHS but are non-counting

wrong....the scoring rounds in a record differ until there are 20 loaded into the system. The below link and chart should help

https://www.englandgolf.org/explaining-the-whs-20-score-record/

whs_20_score_record_image_1.png

wjemather

Visit site
Thank you, I’m aware the scoring is different but thought it would start scoring with every round. However, it looks like as the initial hcp cards are not in the system than it still needs to be 3 scores before the system starts counting.
If a player has a transitioned handicap (from CONGU UHS) with zero scores on their record since 2018, then their WHS record will have 3 hidden artificial scores that are used to maintain the handicap index (all have the same differential of HI +2). As actual scores are submitted, these artificial scores are removed, but the same rules apply with regards to calculating the index; in your example, it will be an artificial score that remains the lowest differential so that is the counting one.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is worth understanding what you mean by 'non counting'

If you look at the chart only one score counts whilst there are only 5 scores on the record so if those 2 rounds were worse than the the one used for initial handicap the handicap would remain almost the same.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is worth understanding what you mean by 'non counting'

If you look at the chart only one score counts whilst there are only 5 scores on the record so if those 2 rounds were worse than the the one used for initial handicap the handicap would remain almost the same.
On the chart there are two scores only both showing as non-counting (not green circle).

Both scores are worse than the initial hcp. So my question was when would it start adjusting as it really doesn’t reflect players current ability.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the chart there are two scores only both showing as non-counting (not green circle).

Both scores are worse than the initial hcp. So my question was when would it start adjusting as it really doesn’t reflect players current ability.

the 3rd score. Once the 3rd is in, a ‘proper’ initial handicap can be provided

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If by 'does not reflect current ability' you mean they cannot play to their handicap then it will only start to when they submit another 18 assuming they are all worse than their handicap or by handicap review. To be reviewed I would expect there to be sufficient scores on their record form which to make a judgement

However it is always hoped that a player will improve as they play more.