Increasing a Handicap Index

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the options in 7.1(ii) is to apply the (same?) adjustment to each of the most recent 20 Score Differentials. Where is this done? Via the WHS portal or via the ISV software?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the options in 7.1(ii) is to apply the (same?) adjustment to each of the most recent 20 Score Differentials. Where is this done? Via the WHS portal or via the ISV software?

I would have thought via the WHS dashboard.

I had an ESR this week and adjustment was automatically applied to all 20 scores on his record. I would imagine that there would be a similar automatic adjustment for an official increase.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have thought via the WHS dashboard.

I had an ESR this week and adjustment was automatically applied to all 20 scores on his record. I would imagine that there would be a similar automatic adjustment for an official increase.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping.
Can anyone confirm that increases and decreases are the same?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I was hoping.
Can anyone confirm that increases and decreases are the same?

An exceptional score is now a higher figure
Exceptional Score
A Score Differential which is at least 7.0 strokes better than the player’s Handicap
Index at the time the round was played (see Rule 5.9).

7-9.9 is minus 1 and 10 or more is minus 2

Rule 5.9

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there an automatic notification?

Sorry I do not know I am only on the Handicap and Comps sub committee now and do not get involved in day to day admin anymore.

However as a player is now required to check the HI before going out (particularly after putting a score better than their HI) I would not see the need.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry I do not know I am only on the Handicap and Comps sub committee now and do not get involved in day to day admin anymore.

However as a player is now required to check the HI before going out (particularly after putting a score better than their HI) I would not see the need.

Agree on the players side but as the HC Sec I’m the one they automatically ask what’s going on and the old ESR warning was useful.

wjemather

Visit site
Manual adjustments (max. 5 strokes either way) are applied through the member's profile on the WHS Platform ("Official Handicap Adjustment" link, then "Apply Adjustment"), with a check box to reset the low index. Any adjustment is then applied to each of the last 20 differentials (or all differentials if less than 20 scores) as per the rules. Adjustments take effect overnight.

There are no notifications for adjustments (either automatic or manual). Presumably this is because there is an expectation that the player checks their current index each day before playing (and they won't be working out any changes themselves). HDID can be configured to supply notifications for the player, but I'm not aware of anything for secs (unsurprising, since in general the functionality for handicap committees remains extremely deficient 6 months in).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Manual adjustments (max. 5 strokes either way) are applied through the member's profile on the WHS Platform ("Official Handicap Adjustment" link, then "Apply Adjustment"), with a check box to reset the low index. Any adjustment is then applied to each of the last 20 differentials (or all differentials if less than 20 scores) as per the rules. Adjustments take effect overnight.
Many thanks.

A follow up if I may.

A player is thought due for a belated increase. For five or more years he has not played in any Q comps but likes to play in various social team events (Captain's day mixed 4BBB etc) Because his cap is too low he never contributes to the team score and some are unhappy about playing with him. He was persuaded to get some supps in before transition but only managed 2.
As a result his CONGU handicap of 18.1 became his HI. I don't know if it is coincidence but when de-sloped the 2 supps give a differential of about 18.

Assume he is given a new index of 23, my questions are:

1) Will table 5.2 kick in.

2) How will be his new index be affected if
a) he returns a very good score
b) he returns a score spot in his cap
c) he returns a very poor score.

I hope the above is understandable.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe not the right place to ask this, but what does PCC mean?

Just looked on HDID and the last column has a PCC of +3, a bit of reading suggests that this means playing conditions were hard, but it doesn’t really make sense to me. I didn’t score very well and the HI has gone up, but unsure why effect the PCC has had?

wjemather

Visit site
Many thanks.

A follow up if I may.

A player is thought due for a belated increase. For five or more years he has not played in any Q comps but likes to play in various social team events (Captain's day mixed 4BBB etc) Because his cap is too low he never contributes to the team score and some are unhappy about playing with him. He was persuaded to get some supps in before transition but only managed 2.
As a result his CONGU handicap of 18.1 became his HI. I don't know if it is coincidence but when de-sloped the 2 supps give a differential of about 18.

Assume he is given a new index of 23, my questions are:

1) Will table 5.2 kick in.

2) How will be his new index be affected if
a) he returns a very good score
b) he returns a score spot in his cap
c) he returns a very poor score.

I hope the above is understandable.
Carried forward CONGU indexes (for want of a better way of describing them) are made up of any actual scores plus a number of artificial scores to make up the minimum of three. As new scores go in the artificial ones are deleted.

So until 3 scores are in, his index will be the lower of his allocated index (i.e. his carried-forward CONGU exact) and lowest actual score differential (minus two per the table). Once the third score goes in, his index will purely be determined by the table (i.e. lowest differential minus two).

I'm not sure how adjustments work with fewer than three actual scores (the same I'd hope!), so I'd suggest just putting one more casual/gp score in and letting the system do its thing. However, with or without adjustment, I'd expect any good or to handicap score would become his best differential, with his index then being equal to that minus two; a bad score wouldn't provide a counting differential but the minus two would probably kick in (it wouldn't be active before unless one of the actual scores was the counting one).

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe not the right place to ask this, but what does PCC mean?

Just looked on HDID and the last column has a PCC of +3, a bit of reading suggests that this means playing conditions were hard, but it doesn’t really make sense to me. I didn’t score very well and the HI has gone up, but unsure why effect the PCC has had?
In effect a + increases (- decreases) the Course Rating. Rather like the CSS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So until 3 scores are in, his index will be the lower of his allocated index (i.e. his carried-forward CONGU exact) and lowest actual score differential (minus two per the table). Once the third score goes in, his index will purely be determined by the table (i.e. lowest differential minus two).
So if his new score produced a marginally lower differential his index would be reduced by 2 (and a bit)?

wjemather

Visit site
So if his new score produced a marginally lower differential his index would be reduced by 2 (and a bit)?
Yes, I would expect so.

I can't be sure, but I assume artificial differentials are equal to the assigned index plus two (if its designed logically).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, I would expect so.

I can't be sure, but I assume artificial differentials are equal to the assigned index plus two (if its designed logically).
And if his new score produced a high differential his newly given index of 23 would be reduced by 2 ?

wjemather

Visit site
And if his new score produced a high differential his newly given index of 23 would be reduced by 2 ?
His new index would be his lowest differential minus 2, so there could be a reduction (depends how the artificial scores and assigned index work - I'll find/create an example tomorrow to test and confirm).

Edit: Tested and it works as I expected.
For a transition index of 23, the artificial score has a score differential of 25. Any new score worse than that and his index would increase to his new lowest differential minus 2. Any better and there will be a reduction.

I think I may have been confusing myself earlier!

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
His new index would be his lowest differential minus 2, so there could be a reduction (depends how the artificial scores and assigned index work - I'll find/create an example tomorrow to test and confirm).

Edit: Tested and it works as I expected.
For a transition index of 23, the artificial score has a score differential of 25. Any new score worse than that and his index would increase to his new lowest differential minus 2. Any better and there will be a reduction.

I think I may have been confusing myself earlier!
Many thanks for your help.

I had been struggling with the perverse situation where a bad score results in a reduced index.