Increased handicap mid season

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
Strange handicap increase
Can a handicap be increased by 3 shots in the space of a couple of weeks?

My brother in law played a pair a couple of weeks ago in a fourballs tie both were off of 8, tonight they played the same pair in a foursomes tie but one of their handicaps has increased to 11 in 2 weeks.
The guy claims he played on an easy course previously so asked to submit 3 cards to have a new handicap awarded.

His handicap was 8.2 on the medal 10 days ago and now it is 10.9 showing on howdidido.

Can anyone shed light on how this is possible outside of the annual handicap review?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The guy claims he played on an easy course previously so asked to submit 3 cards to have a new handicap awarded.
That sounds very irregular.
I don't use HDID but does it show a code indicating a reason for the change?

Of not pm his CDH ID and I'll see what I can find out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course an 'easier' course has a lower SSS so his handicap does not need any adjustment and should not be adjusted for that reason.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems very strange to Louise, very irregular to Rulefan, simply not an option to Duncan. What's to add to that? Well, "shenanigans" comes to mind.

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
That sounds very irregular.
I don't use HDID but does it show a code indicating a reason for the change?

Of not pm his CDH ID and I'll see what I can find out.

I can’t find the cdh number as I’m not a member of that club, it’s another club in Scotland.

I spoke to 3 former handicap secretary’s from the club I am a member of and none if us from looking at congu rules can fathom how this is possible🤔

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can’t find the cdh number as I’m not a member of that club, it’s another club in Scotland.

I spoke to 3 former handicap secretary’s from the club I am a member of and none if us from looking at congu rules can fathom how this is possible🤔

It is theoretically possible within CONGU rules by his submitting sufficient supplementary scores in the two weeks to raise his handicap to 11. Minimally that would be from 8.4 to 10.5 in 0.1 increments ie 21x 9 hole rounds.* Not much time left for the day job!

*No kudos for correcting my arithmetic if it's wrong.

Last edited:

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
It is theoretically possible within CONGU rules by his submitting sufficient supplementary scores in the two weeks to raise his handicap to 11. Minimally that would be from 8.4 to 10.5 in 0.1 increments ie 21x 9 hole rounds.* Not much time left for the day job!

*No kudos for correcting my arithmetic if it's wrong.

The Club secretary has come back and said that the player in question has only recently joined the club (during the winter) and brought his handicap of 8 with him from his old club. After struggling to score on the course at the start of this season (only record of 3 medal rounds on Howdidido) the member asked the handicap secretary to review his handicap for a possible increase, this was before he had accrued the 7 x consecutive 0.1 scores which would have triggered it to be looked at by the handicap secretary. After having his handicap upped from 8.2 to 12.0 by the handicap secretary the member then went out and shot a 75 scratch in the next competition on a par 70 and 70 sss course giving a net 63 and was only cut 1 full shot.
This shows that the Handicap Secretary has clearly been a bit premature on giving an increase before the processes in place to trigger a review and leaves it open for any member to ask for their handicap to be looked at after a month of poor scores as a precedant has now been set at the club.

I am not going to name the club in question as I'm sure the handicap secretary has probably acted in good faith, but it shows why there are procedures in place to try and protect the handicapping system from manipulation

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The key here is that he was in effect given an 'initial allocation'. The committee is obliged to keep such a player under review for some time. There is no problem with adjusting as necessary until he settles down.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Club secretary has come back and said that the player in question has only recently joined the club (during the winter) and brought his handicap of 8 with him from his old club. After struggling to score on the course at the start of this season (only record of 3 medal rounds on Howdidido) the member asked the handicap secretary to review his handicap for a possible increase, this was before he had accrued the 7 x consecutive 0.1 scores which would have triggered it to be looked at by the handicap secretary. After having his handicap upped from 8.2 to 12.0 by the handicap secretary the member then went out and shot a 75 scratch in the next competition on a par 70 and 70 sss course giving a net 63 and was only cut 1 full shot.
This shows that the Handicap Secretary has clearly been a bit premature on giving an increase before the processes in place to trigger a review and leaves it open for any member to ask for their handicap to be looked at after a month of poor scores as a precedant has now been set at the club.

I am not going to name the club in question as I'm sure the handicap secretary has probably acted in good faith, but it shows why there are procedures in place to try and protect the handicapping system from manipulation
Thank you for the explanation.

Such things do happen, but the well meaning have a defensive strategy available and, in this case, I would have no hesitation in re-allocating 7.6 (based on 8.2/8/67/3×0.2) under the clause that requires me to closely monitor new allocations and adjustments. If I felt I had been manipulated I might even go to 7.4!

D

Deleted member 15344

The key here is that he was in effect given an 'initial allocation'. The committee is obliged to keep such a player under review for some time. There is no problem with adjusting as necessary until he settles down.

I thought he brought his HC from another club ? So it’s “initial allocation” ?

The player has just joined the club so he will struggle initially until they get used to the club and course and his HC will adjust naturally as the better weather comes in

The HC sec in this instance is poor and had carried as an unjustifiable HC change based on the player complaining and only having three scores ?

His HC should be go back to what it was when he joined the club and then the system deals with it