Incorrect score on scorecard

chrbb

Visit site
I think I was right in DQ myself but ever hopeful thought I'd check:D

Saturday comp - stableford.

When my marker (lady captain) and I went through our cards after the game she had my stableford total score 1 more than I did, compared scores she had me down for a 4, I scored 5 and had recorded it on her card as marker as 5.

She said ok and that she'd changed the score and agreed the same total as me. Thought no more, signed cards, had lunch, sulked because my score was rancid etc etc

In my role of handicap sec today whilst entering the cards I realised she'd changed only the score not the gross for that hole, as a newbie I wasn't sure whether it was a DQ or not, but decided to err on the side of caution and recorded it as dq in the comp book.

Am I right?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
basically yes - you have knowingly signed for a gross score lower than you actually took. you should have checked the card (in this case including the alteration) before signing.

easy to get wrong when you get such issues crop up; although in your situation you should realise how common such things are and taken tripple care :)

btw - this is exactly why it's better not to have the stableford points on the card; they are a very dangerous facotr that screws up proper checking. last time I posted this some people suggested I was mad and that such problems didn't exist in the (their) real world.....

Last edited:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I was right in DQ myself but ever hopeful thought I'd check:D

Saturday comp - stableford.

When my marker (lady captain) and I went through our cards after the game she had my stableford total score 1 more than I did, compared scores she had me down for a 4, I scored 5 and had recorded it on her card as marker as 5.

She said ok and that she'd changed the score and agreed the same total as me. Thought no more, signed cards, had lunch, sulked because my score was rancid etc etc

In my role of handicap sec today whilst entering the cards I realised she'd changed only the score not the gross for that hole, as a newbie I wasn't sure whether it was a DQ or not, but decided to err on the side of caution and recorded it as dq in the comp book.

Am I right?

Sorry do you mean she'd only changed your points score for the hole?

If so, you're quite correct and DQ is the only response as you'd signed for a better score than you had actually achieved.

When marking the card for a stableford the recording of the points can be incorrect but the gross score MUST be spot on.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. I never record S'ford points on the card and refuse to confirm them with my marker or FC whose card I am marking.
I have seen so many cards DQd because the points added up.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree. I never record S'ford points on the card and refuse to confirm them with my marker or FC whose card I am marking.
I have seen so many cards DQd because the points added up.

Why wouldn't you record and confirm the points when you can't be at fault if either are wrong and, also, it's customary, where I play, to agree the scores after 9 and at the end of the round?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Agreeing points at the turn is a good way of checking that the front 9 is right.

You then don't have to do it again when you've finished triple, triple and couldn't give a Monkey's.....

If you don't keep track of your points going round, how can you go into the bar and gloat that you've scored 48 points?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why wouldn't you record and confirm the points when you can't be at fault if either are wrong and, also, it's customary, where I play, to agree the scores after 9 and at the end of the round?

The only thing that MUST be right is the gross score for the holes. Check that, then there will never be a problem. Why waste time and create a possible problem when the committee or computer will work out your points and net correctly for you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only thing that MUST be right is the gross score for the holes. Check that, then there will never be a problem. Why waste time and create a possible problem when the committee or computer will work out your points and net correctly for you.

Correct. You only need to enter the 18 gross scores. You can add them up wrongly, miscalculate the net scores, or assign the incorrect number of points without penalty.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I know the rule and that's why, like today as I shot level par for my handicap I got my marker to agree every score. I can't understand the refusal to tell a playing partner his points though as its an extra check and most people I play with want to know their scores are agreed at halfway and at the end of the round

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't understand the refusal to tell a playing partner his points though as its an extra check and most people I play with want to know their scores are agreed at halfway and at the end of the round

I don't refuse to tell them. I just don't record stableford points or net scores.
It means I have to keep track of which holes they get strokes on. If I get that wrong or miss the fact they may get 2 strokes on a particular hole we then have to go through it all halfway round which may affect my concentration, especially if the error was simply his ability to add up.
Of course it isn't an extra check. Its an opportunity to get something wrong and have to sort it out when your supposed to be playing golf.

If the player needs to keep a track of his progress he can do it himself. I'll happily confirm everything with him at the end.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't refuse to tell them. I just don't record stableford points or net scores.
It means I have to keep track of which holes they get strokes on. If I get that wrong or miss the fact they may get 2 strokes on a particular hole we then have to go through it all halfway round which may affect my concentration, especially if the error was simply his ability to add up.
Of course it isn't an extra check. Its an opportunity to get something wrong and have to sort it out when your supposed to be playing golf.

If the player needs to keep a track of his progress he can do it himself. I'll happily confirm everything with him at the end.

:eek:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must be a bundle of fun of play with rulefan ;)

Btw, how do you keep track of order of play if you don't record/know/calculate anything other than gross score?

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must be a bundle of fun of play with rulefan ;)

Btw, how do you keep track of order of play if you don't record/know/calculate anything other than gross score?

Since most of the guys I play with don't know that order of play in stableford is on net scores anyway, that wouldn't be an issue :)

I must say I don't particularly want to know my exact score or points total at half-time, but I feel I should recognise that the person I'm marking for might. Keeping track of where his strokes come is easy enough if before you start you just circle the holes where he doesn't get a stroke, or the holes where he gets two.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stableford scoring used to be much easier and fairer in the days of 24 handicap limits and 3/4 handicap.
I vote we go back to that example.

How do you calculate 3/4?

But half the golfers on the world have a handicap of about 24 or over. That'll cut the field down.