In explicable added distance

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hoping some can answer whether a occurance from my last round was just a fluke are whether or not it is because of a setup change.

My previous setup was what I call very tall and as a result my hands at address felt quite a high and away from body, it was only a friendly knock and I was trying out different things, on our 18th a 155yd par 3 I decided to "tighten" up my stance a little (make it less tall) and bring closer to my body and more under my sternum/chest. The result was 8 iron screaming high into the sky and landing 20 yards long of the hole. Being a friendly knock I through another ball down, and club down to my 9 iron, result 10 yards long of the hole.

I thought this might be a fluke, so have been to the range this week (real balls) and the results have been the same, my 8 iron is my 150 club but is know going anywhere from 160 - 170. My PW was previously my 130ish club, but I can get that out at 150.

Its seems odd that a change in hand position can bring more distance? Could hand position affect this?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Sounds to me as if the bigger bend is allowing you to use the upper body more & use the big muscles to lead the shoulders arms into the shot. Standing tall all you can do is swing the arms in front of you. Bent over, you can get the club behind you with a big shoulder turn and use those big muscles.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have probably gone from a flappy arm swing to a torquier body swing.

10 yards long on a 155 yard shot with a 9? Nice start, keep at it and you will soon get up to forum distances.

Last edited: