In-Between clubs

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Imagine the scenario.

You're out on the course and find yourself slap bang in-between clubs. Calm conditions, clear day, no wind.

Could be a 3 and 4 iron. May be a 6 and 7 iron. Possibly and 8 and 9 iron.

How do you play the shot?

Is it better to 'club-up' and make a smooth swing, or to 'club-down' and hit it harder? is it better to do one over the other?

With wedges into greens I can understand it being a little different when it comes to controlling spin, or is it?

What do you think/do?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ill be in the minority but I take the lesser club and hit it a little harder. Im far happier that way, if I try and take a little off invariably I dont make a full turn and get even more handsy than usual with it. Not so bad with wedges but becomes more of an issue the longer the club gets so very rare you'll see me hit a soft middle iron or longer

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm the same as Fundy. I like to play a full swing plus if you hit it too long there's normally hills and rough and all sorts of nasties. Come up short and you're normally still on the short stuff.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
depends on where the danger is!

if there is a stream out the back I will take the higer club and step on it! danger in front and ill probably take the longer club to be sure!

no danger, no wind, who can say, depends on all sorts from green softness to the trajectory you would like it coming in.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm an 'all or nothing' person so its full all the time, I lose control when I attempt to manufacture something, I'm nowhere near that level yet.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually take the one that goes further, simply because the chance of still getting e decent result from not hitting a best shot are reduced.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I generally club up and hit it easier/cut it.

On some days though, giving it a bigger thump works better for me!

And any danger front or back will influence the decision too!

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
I generally club up and hit it easier/cut it.

On some days though, giving it a bigger thump works better for me!

And any danger front or back will influence the decision too!

Pretty much this - however the ultmate deciding factor is where the danger is.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Club up and grip down. I do this for a lot of shots anyway.

Much more to go wrong trying to hit a club further than natural imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

Normally I would club up and hit it 3/4 but it all depends on the lie of the land in front and how my game is going.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

if there is a stream out the back I will take the higer club and step on it! danger in front and ill probably take the longer club to be sure!

no danger, no wind, who can say, depends on all sorts from green softness to the trajectory you would like it coming in.

Exactly this. Plus, depending on the situation, club to ensure hitting the green at least so pin at the back - hit the shorter club and if it's short at least you're putting and vice versa.

No danger either way and pin in the middle - club up and hit easy.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends how each of the clubs in question has been behaving itself on the day in question......

However if it was on the first hole I'd take the bigger club, grip down the shaft a tad, try to put a smooth swing on it and pray

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I take the lesser club and hit it a little harder.

For me it's a combination of these 2....but my preference would be for Fundy's Way.....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with Garry 100% as my starting point - but then again it's my starting point regardless of whether I then find I'm between clubs!

Fortunately my clubs have grips long enough for me to simply take a bit of the shot, so i use that if necessary...:whistle:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
More club and hit it gripped slightly down the shaft

Club up and grip down.

Club up, grip down and hit it the same as usual.

Absolutely this.

Gripping down the shaft 1.5" and taking your normal swing will reduce your yardage, so you don't have to slow your swing down / manufacture something / etc., you simply play your standard shot.

Play around with it and you'll work out pretty quickly how many yards each inch drops you.