immovable objects or not

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
yellow posts indicating a water hazard, presumebly cam remove these if they are near your ball, but what about if they are in so that they cannot be removed, can you take a drop.
It didnt happen to me but one member's ball came to rest about an inch to the side of one of these, should they have been able to get a free drop?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the course would have to declare stakes immovable and then relief would probably be 1 club length from nearest point of relief no nearer the hole etc etc.

Not sure though if they're not declared as such...

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definition of "obstruction" is

An "obstruction" is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured ice, except:
a. Objects defining out of bounds, such as walls, fences, stakes and railings;
b. Any part of an immovable artificial object that is out of bounds; and
c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.
An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage. Otherwise it is an immovable obstruction.
Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule declaring a movable obstruction to be an immovable obstruction.

Stakes marking hazards are obstructions and so relief is governed by Rule 24. There is an FAQ for Rule 24 which covers this very question

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=24&subRuleNum=1

Can't cut and paste it so you'll have to follow the link. Just scroll down the rule to see the FAQs

In short if it is moveable you can move it (Rule 24-1), if it is immovable you get relief as normal unless your ball is in the hazard (Rule 24-2) in which case Rule 26-1 applies.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dont forget though - you cannot get free relief from a hazard (or get free relief into hazard) - so the nearest point is the nearest point not in the hazard or in the hazard depending if the ball lay not in the hazard or in the hazard!

Got it?

Well I think know what I mean!

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
Dont forget though - you cannot get free relief from a hazard (or get free relief into hazard) - so the nearest point is the nearest point not in the hazard or in the hazard depending if the ball lay not in the hazard or in the hazard!

Got it?

Well I think know what I mean!

:confused:

:D

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know!

What I am trying to say is that there are some scenarioes where you HAVE to re drop a free drop:
If the ball is on the putting green (when not previously)
If the ball ends out of bounds
If the ball ends closer to the hole
If the drop results in relief not being gained

And in this case
If the ball ends in a hazard (when not before taking relief)
If the ball ends out of a hazard (when not before taking relief)

I think there is one more (my memory fails me but I guess its if the ball rolls outside 1 club length from the nearest point of relief).

Simples! (Not):thup:

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
I know!

What I am trying to say is that there are some scenarioes where you HAVE to re drop a free drop:
If the ball is on the putting green (when not previously)
If the ball ends out of bounds
If the ball ends closer to the hole
If the drop results in relief not being gained

And in this case
If the ball ends in a hazard (when not before taking relief)
If the ball ends out of a hazard (when not before taking relief)

I think there is one more (my memory fails me but I guess its if the ball rolls outside 1 club length from the nearest point of relief).

Simples! (Not):thup:

:thup:

Thats an easier read for this time at night!!!!

:)