If You Were Good Enough

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you were a pro, and had the choice to play the European Tour or the PGA, what would you play and why?

I think I would stick to Europe, Majors apart, as I would really struggle to enjoy playing in front of those hollering, whooping, American galleries.

"GET IN THE HOLE"

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just wait until next week when they get to Pheonix. Just a bunch of drunken frat kids that have no idea what they're watching. The stench of stale coors and spearmint chewing gum will be seeping through the television.
European for me as it seems a more friendly tour. Comradeship, all in it together sort of thing.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like your thinking Marko77.
I would go for the European like Smange there is no way I could stand the Americans shouting etc.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
European, If I were to play in the US I would be convicted of first degree murder in about 5 mins of teeing off.

Sames reasons as outlined by smange and A_F, I hate american golf "fans" with real venom. A complete bunch of morons.

Also there is a much better variety of course on the euro, this variety makes for a varied and interesting challenge and would certainly prevent boredom, so many yank courses look the same.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Open for definite! Whenever I've played an Open course I've always imagined as I walk up the 18th what it must be like to be a contender for the jug!

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
European tour if it was a pure preference thing, as I agree those shouting Americans can grate.

However if I was a good pro then only tour I can imagine playing out be PGA. You want to test yourself against the best and in my opinion the PGA (most weeks) has a stronger field of competitors.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
European Tour every time. Why play the same course 40 weeks of the year in the US when you can travel the entire globe(good ol' European colonial habits dying hard!) and play a completely varied range of courses and environments?

It's also clearly a much better crack on the Euro tour than the Personalities Gone AWOL tour.

And then there's the locals - the Dutch, the Swedes, the Swiss, the French, the Italians...

...or big fat Yank women.

You choose!

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................................................................................................i'd probably dress as a woman, join the LPGA, and spend my days wandering the fairways with the likes of Gulbis, Creamer, Sandolo and that other fit LPGA player who's name currently escapes me.

There is method in my madness. Some of the women on the LPGA players look like blokes anyway so i'd blend in quite nicely ;)

note to self - I must get out more.

DHM.

T

thecraw

Think I would have to split my time 50-50 if I was good enough, certainly early doors etc I would tend to go stateside, better weather, better courses. money on offer etc.

European Tour by all accounts is a friendlier place to play and you get the varied cultures and experiences of playing in different countrys and even continents.

As long as I managed to qualify for the Masters just once I would be happy.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Since the European tour is rarely in Europe, and even then only in the summer (now it is global it tends to follow summer, where ever summer is), I would argue that the weather on the European tour is the better. There are plenty of places in the states with ghastly weather. (Augusta last year for example).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
European for me. Simply more variation from the mountain air of the Swiss Open to parkland and wooded courses and of course the daddy of them all - links golf

USPGA has been set up for target golf for years. Its what the crowds want to see - pros hitting it and stopping it close and making loads of birdie putts. Not saying I wouldn't mind giving it a go for all the $'s to play for but I'd be bored and stale by mid season.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say the US for me as it would all be about winning the big events

As three of the majors and all the WGC events are played in the US, I would think you will be better prepared if you played in the US all year.

Plus i would move job for more money so why not tour as well :eek: :eek:

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
try and do what the best europeans do split my time between both tours. Play a couple of events in USA before the majors then return to europe for the main money events in europe.