If you have a 2 year old or a bit older.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
After seeing a Like-a-bike last year, I was sold on the idea.

The genre are called balance or training bikes. Often made of wood but can also be metal, either steel or aluminium. Essentially they are bicycles, but with no pedals, and restricted rotation of the handle bars, so as not to jack knife.

The child straddles the seat with both feet on the ground and 'runs' or stroles along. It teaches them balance and co-ordination. When they are a little older it makes the transition to a 'real' bike much easier as the child has already got the balance sorted out. No stabilisers are required. Stabilisers only make the child think that they are balancing a real bike. Which is why learning to ride a peoper bike is so fraut for everyone.

Having researched to the eigth degree we got little HH an Islabike.

He loves it, and already turing into a right little Evel Knievel!! Mind you, he was always a little reckless!

I can highly recommend them. And they're cheaper than the 'proper' German, wooden like-a-bike, or they're version of this metal one. Though it's still not cheap!

Rothan-enlarge.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We had enormous problems getting the Boy off his stabilisers until last summer - when he was 6 nearly 7. He was either very reluctant to do it or just couldn't get the balance. So one day we went to the local park that has some small rises on it. Went to the top of one and sat him on the bike (no stabilisers). Persuaded him to freewheel downhill twice. 3rd time I yelled "pedal" at him and he was off. Round the park for about 20 minutes non-stop.
Brilliant.

Looked at something like these but he wasn't having any of it!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Nothing like the deep end then Imurg!

That's exactly why I thought that this would be a good idea. Little HH is only 2 1/2. He tried a friends wooden one a couple of weeks ago, and was flying down the hills! I thought he was going to break the wooden one with the wipe outs he was having.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nice one HH, I love the look of these, my 5 year old is still on stabilisers because she only gets to practice on our rear lawn which is on a 1:4 slope. Its a pity there isnt a version where you can add pedals later.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Brendy.

I thought the same thing. But as he's still very young, and we have a 9 week old as well, this would will probably run for both of them for 5 years.

Islabikes also do pedal'd bikes for 3 plus year olds.

I figured that these things also have a good re-sale value. So despite the extra cost it all pans out in the end.

I'm also to old to run behind his bike in 5 years or so whilst he comes off stabilisers!! So it's all for my benefit really!!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just put mine on normal bikes then removed the outriggers without telling them, then enjoyed their new adventure crashing on the grass :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hapless... We had our daughter on a bike with stabilisers (she's just turned 4) and they got some of these wooden bikes at her nursery with no pedals, just for balancing.

Two weeks later and we took the stabilisers off her bike and she rides good and proper now.

So I'm not sure I'd want to have spent money on a bike with no pedals if it was only going to be necessary to use it for only two weeks.

I might have been tempted to TAKE THE PEDALS OFF her own bike had I considered it. Which makes more sense to me (well it does to my wallet)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Some good and interesting points have been raised.

Mini HH is only 2 1/2 and is not very tall and has short legs. So most pedal bikes would be too big for him, with or without pedals. He also doesn't have access to a balance bike otherwise. I figured that it will do him for a year or two, by which time his little sis will take it over.

I understand about the cost issue. It was a concern for me. Which is why we went for a good one with higher resale values.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So do you think taking the pedals off would be as practical?
That depends how the bike was made. If you can make bikes like the one shown in the original pic and sell a lot of them, why not make one that you can add pedals to and/or take them off again for the next child.

...and become a millionaire :p